Wild Experiment Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomasaug

Reaction score
I suppose we all love to experiment which is why we are brewing beer in the first place. I've seen some recipes out there that were quite strange (pb&j beer, hot sauce beer, bacon beer (I've tried, not bad)). Some I could kind of understand and others I just couldn't.

Question for a lighter thread- Do you have any wild experiment ideas out there that you are considering and why do you think they might be tasty? In other worlds, what would be special about the experiment beer you are considering brewing and how would you make it work?

To respond to my own question, I was just in China and became enamored with Szechuan food. In particular, the Szechuan peppercorn. The peppercorn itself isn't very spicy (more on the order of a strong black peppercorn). However, it has a unique quality as the husk of the peppercorn causes a temporary numbing sensation (google it to get more information) in your mouth that is quite interesting.

Not sure if the numbness of the Szecuan peppercorn would survive the fermentation process, but the flavor if it did would be interesting, particularly when added to an already complex flavor of a strong brown ale.

Considering brewing a 1 gallon pot of it and seeing how it goes.

:mug:

Two great ideas I have:

(1) Dr. Pepper Porter
I would probably find out what the main flavors are in Dr. Pepper first, then create some sort of tincture with 151 Rum and add it to secondary.

(2) Cannabis Beer (of some sort)
I know that marijuana and hops are in the same family of plants, and they do actually smell VERY similar I have noticed. I am eventually going to try brewing a beer with marijuana for bittering instead of hops, OR just dry hopping with marijuana. This will require quite a bit more research...
The goal of this beer being to give you a little alcohol buzz for a bit, THEN kick in the buzz from the THC after that.

I'll be brewing a beer with seaweed as a non-trivial component of the mash. No idea how much - maybe 10% by weight? I am inspired by Kelpie Ale, which I think is a very tasty beer.

Also, not too out there, I am planning on brewing a beer that uses black tea as a late addition or maybe even as a "dry hop" addition. Probably a robust Irish red ale with a high quality Irish breakfast tea. The question will be how much to use to get good flavor without too much tannic bite.

I'm also going to continue to explore local wild yeast. My first attempt turned out well, so I'm excited to try some more.

blaine, i think its fat soluble which doesnt go well with brewing. Think you need some kind of workaround (sure they exist).

Tea is an interesting ingredient. Can see how it could an interesting flavor.

To respond to my own question, I was just in China and became enamored with Szechuan food. In particular, the Szechuan peppercorn. The peppercorn itself isn't very spicy (more on the order of a strong black peppercorn). However, it has a unique quality as the husk of the peppercorn causes a temporary numbing sensation (google it to get more information) in your mouth that is quite interesting.

Not sure if the numbness of the Szecuan peppercorn would survive the fermentation process, but the flavor if it did would be interesting, particularly when added to an already complex flavor of a strong brown ale.

Considering brewing a 1 gallon pot of it and seeing how it goes.

:mug:

I would love to hear how this turns out should you decide to brew a batch. I've had similar foods that gave a numbing experience in the mouth and have wondered how it would carry over in a beer. Betel nuts are what I had in mind.

blaine, i think its fat soluble which doesnt go well with brewing. Think you need some kind of workaround (sure they exist).

Tea is an interesting ingredient. Can see how it could an interesting flavor.

That's a good point... Didn't think about that at first. Definitely will require research.

I have done the whole cannabis beer thing. I am a medical patient in the state of california and am completly legit when it comes to this medicine. You can most certainly get flavors, color, and aroma from cannabis. However THC is not water soluble. Which is why the only drinkable cannabis medicines are soda ( with tincture added) or coffee drinks which contain fats. Ive experienced little chunks of a hashish like substance floating on top of the krausen the same way hop oils do. If you are looking for the brew to give you a thc buzz as well i would suggest using a tincture, and adding to secondary or even at bottling.

Also, Marijuana and hops are very close cousins and can be substituted. You can even buy dry hops for smoking purposes. I must also state that i do not suggest the practice of brewing Cannabis beer. Many Dispensaries have been shut down and the workers sent to prison for supplying cannabis beer. And ive read a few AHA articles about it and it seems to be a growing trend in cannabis friendly states. Even if you are legal I feel its a waste of time to brew with marijuana. and i feel that it defeats the purpose of brewing. I brew to produce great beer to share with my friends and family and savor the flavor, Not neccesarily to get drunk. Adding marijuana to the mix really has no point unless you are looking to get F**'d up.

Hope my reply has some useful information and i apologize if i offended anybody. But keep in mind i was not being foul. I use marijuana on a daily basis to help my health and have nothing against it.

Please dont ban me for speaking on this subject. Just trying to help. Cheers!

Im interested to hear about how some of the peppercorn ideas turn out. A couple days ago I posted about an idea for a peppercorn-lime blonde ale. I wanted to try a light lime ale and remembered that lime and black pepper make a good combination for chips or chicken wings. Im hoping for a reasonably strong lime flavour with a hint of spice from the peppercorn.

I have done the whole cannabis beer thing. I am a medical patient in the state of california and am completly legit when it comes to this medicine. You can most certainly get flavors, color, and aroma from cannabis. However THC is not water soluble. Which is why the only drinkable cannabis medicines are soda ( with tincture added) or coffee drinks which contain fats. Ive experienced little chunks of a hashish like substance floating on top of the krausen the same way hop oils do. If you are looking for the brew to give you a thc buzz as well i would suggest using a tincture, and adding to secondary or even at bottling.

Also, Marijuana and hops are very close cousins and can be substituted. You can even buy dry hops for smoking purposes. I must also state that i do not suggest the practice of brewing Cannabis beer. Many Dispensaries have been shut down and the workers sent to prison for supplying cannabis beer. And ive read a few AHA articles about it and it seems to be a growing trend in cannabis friendly states. Even if you are legal I feel its a waste of time to brew with marijuana. and i feel that it defeats the purpose of brewing. I brew to produce great beer to share with my friends and family and savor the flavor, Not neccesarily to get drunk. Adding marijuana to the mix really has no point unless you are looking to get F**'d up.

Hope my reply has some useful information and i apologize if i offended anybody. But keep in mind i was not being foul. I use marijuana on a daily basis to help my health and have nothing against it.

Please dont ban me for speaking on this subject. Just trying to help. Cheers!

I personally dont partake in weed anymore, but only because it makes me an uproductive couch potato.

And I know you are not a fan of brewing with cannabis, but this is not for distribution, just as a favor for some friends.

But I currently make a honey blonde ale and a friend makes honey oil and i was wondering about the combination. Do you think the thc in the honey oil would live through the fermetation process if added at flame out like I normally do with my regular honey?

My guess is that they will not even feel it, but I'd like to get your input.

cheers and get well my friend!

I did a Pepper Ale. I added 2 tablespoons of crushed red pepper flakes to a plain amber ale recipe. It turned out interesting. Not one that I would crave but I really like it. Maybe someday when I run out of other ideas I might try it again. It had a definite red pepper taste and had some burn. It is definitely not a session beer as the burn builds. I think the most I consumed was 3 bottles in an evening.

Now if I could add cheese, tomato and sausage flavors.... PIZZA BEER!

Back