If I could choose three???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMe82

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to begin growing hops in the spring, but I need to decide on what types to grow. I assume its mostly preference, but im looking for a good combo for use in as many beers as possible. I was thinking cascade, liberty and Willamette. I like the fresh citrusy flavors, but would also like to be able to stick to more traditional flavors when called for. Any suggestions?? I can really only choose three for now, but I am in the process of convincing my cousins wife to let me grow in their yard as well, so that would probably bring my options up to 6. :rockin:

I'd just suggest you grow the hops that you use the most frequently, plant at least 3 rhizomes for each, and put plenty of effort into soil preparation - in the fall before planting if possible, else as soon as the earth can be worked in the spring, before the rhizomes are delivered. It really does pay off!

Cheers!

Ditto. Look at the beers you brew, pick the most used hop, grow that one.

I would grow Chinook, Cascade, Cascade. But that's ME. My single Chinook plant produces enough to last me the entire year. I've got two dry ounces in the freezer from last year and I'm about to harvest. Literately one Chinook plant is a year of beers for me. Cascade, I can always use more. If I had to pick three, it would be the above. What do you brew? What do you use? That's the way to figure this out.

What do you brew with? I couldn't decide, and put in too many plants. My Chinooks and Goldings have done quite well. I don't like grapefruit beer, so passed on Cascade. I like Northern Brewer, but mine aren't doing much so far. A friend is awash in them, from an older plant.

I'd go with 3 different varieties of whatever you like to brew with. If you end up wanting a bunch more of a particular plant, you can harvest your own rhizmes from the 2nd year plant.

It's usually not quite as simple as just choosing what you want. Find out what grows well in your area and grow those.

Not to start a fight but I disagree with jonk. It is as easy as picking what you want, few of us live in extreme environments.

Pick what you use plant it brew with it. I know a bunch of guys. Florida, midWest, and both coasts. They all grow hops just fine. Shrugs...

I have the opportunity to begin growing hops in the spring, but I need to decide on what types to grow. I assume its mostly preference, but im looking for a good combo for use in as many beers as possible. I was thinking cascade, liberty and Willamette. I like the fresh citrusy flavors, but would also like to be able to stick to more traditional flavors when called for. Any suggestions?? I can really only choose three for now, but I am in the process of convincing my cousins wife to let me grow in their yard as well, so that would probably bring my options up to 6. :rockin:

In addition to what others have said, pick hops that you use MOST frequently. I will add an addendum to that of "pick hops that you use most frequently as late additions"

Not much use in growing Magnum or high aa% hops as bittering hops unless you're willing to pay to have them tested. JMO.

Not to start a fight but I disagree with jonk. It is as easy as picking what you want, few of us live in extreme environments.

Pick what you use plant it brew with it. I know a bunch of guys. Florida, midWest, and both coasts. They all grow hops just fine. Shrugs...

Pretty short grow season up there. It's always worth checking out what will grow best in your area no matter what you are growing. Of course you want to grow what you use the most of but having healthy plants and good yields is equally important. I'd also go with varieties that you use for flavor and aroma and not so much those you use for bittering. Since you won't be able to tell the AA of the hops you grow, it is a good idea to buy hops for bittering and use the home grown for flavor and aroma. That way you can still get somewhat accurate IBU calcs.

I went to a small brewpub called Rohrbachs up there near Rochester. If I remember correctly, they were growing hops. Might be a good resource and you might even be able to get some rhizomes for free.

I agree with focusing on growing Flavor and Aroma hops because at least in my case I use more of those than anything. I grew some bittering hops too and the alpha acids seem to be proper enough. If you have the chance to grow six varieties grow at least one for bittering:) Clearly this will all be up to you but you will definitely want more flavor and aroma. I used 4 oz of cascade in one ten gallon batch:).

Oh yeah! I got my rhizomes from freshops. I recommend them for sure:)

Best of Luck!!!
VirginiaWolf

Of the 9 first year plants that I have the cascade and zeus grew the largest by far, the mt.hood and goldings not far behind. Willamette/fuggles didn't grow so great not very tall and only few burrs. The rest are chock full of cones. It might help to see what others have success with in your area, but I would go with cascade, goldings, and mt.hood ( derived from hallertauer but grows better)

I agree with focusing on growing Flavor and Aroma hops because at least in my case I use more of those than anything. I grew some bittering hops too and the alpha acids seem to be proper enough. If you have the chance to grow six varieties grow at least one for bittering:) Clearly this will all be up to you but you will definitely want more flavor and aroma. I used 4 oz of cascade in one ten gallon batch:).

Oh yeah! I got my rhizomes from freshops. I recommend them for sure:)

Best of Luck!!!
VirginiaWolf

Ok, this seems like a good strategy. Im thinking that focusing on aroma and flavor makes more sense for home grown stuff. I figure if used for bittering, ill lose most of the good home grown qualities in the boil anyhow. BTW, tnx for the recommendation. Ill look in to it.

Is it possible to find Amarillo rhizomes? Ive looked a few places on line with no luck. It seems to be an experimental or the result of an experiment and is tightly being controlled by the inventor.

Yes it's a proprietary hop. Do not trick yourself into thinking you'll be the guy that gets a rhizome out. It's not going to happen. Sorry.

Latest posts

Back