McEwans R.I.P.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLObrewer

Reaction score
5042094287_998d561b7c_m.jpg

Every time i pull one of these empties out of the bottling bin I shed a tear, I wish I would have been able to sample more of their beers before they were completely doused. Also wish I would have saved the last case I had a couple years ago.

For now it's old chub I guess, just not the same, not as smooth.

Guess I'll have to brew some heavy and hide it from the kids.:mug:

Edit: Someone still has it though, I saw a review done on 9-20-10, who's hoarding it all?

I haven't had any of the commercial McEwan's (wish I would have), but I have made a homebrewed version and it was within the top 10 of my best, if not higher. Very good.

WHAT?! ITS GONE?!?!

I loved McEwans! I've never cloned it, but it was one of the first "craft" beers I really got into. Can someone post a recipe for it?

I haven't had any of the commercial McEwan's (wish I would have), but I have made a homebrewed version and it was within the top 10 of my best, if not higher. Very good.

I think you almost have to post the recipe after giving a review like that !

WHAT?! ITS GONE?!?!

I loved McEwans! I've never cloned it, but it was one of the first "craft" beers I really got into. Can someone post a recipe for it?

Yea, I believe heinekin owns the rights now, for some reason, I doubt they will ever do anything about it. It was passed around quite a bit after the selling, Scottish courage, scottish and newcastle, heinekin, it will never be the same.

I was amazed to read somewhere that a commercial yeast was isolated from one of the 20 strains found in a bottle of mcewans after world war two. don't remember what book it was right now, but anyway, it really is a shame.:(

I think you almost have to post the recipe after giving a review like that !

Here you go... :) :mug:

10 oz torrified wheat
8 oz 55 crystal
2 oz roasted
1 oz peated malt
8 oz invert sugar
13# 2 row

1.25 oz east kent golding (bittering)
1/4 oz styrian goldings (flavor)
1/4 oz German hallertau hersbrucker (flavor)
Wyeast 1084

:rockin:

Here you go... :) :mug:

10 oz torrified wheat
8 oz 55 crystal
2 oz roasted
1 oz peated malt
8 oz invert sugar
13# 2 row

1.25 oz east kent golding (bittering)
1/4 oz styrian goldings (flavor)
1/4 oz German hallertau hersbrucker (flavor)
Wyeast 1084

:rockin:

Wow that looks good, what was your source for that recipe? It appears to be really close to me for a 5 gallon batch.:mug:

Ya, McEwan's was a victim to the Dutch beer nazis (heiniken), so was Old Peculiar; apparently they're "not economically viable" in the USA. You know, heiniken is just the BMC of Europe. Regards, GF.

I was amazed to read somewhere that a commercial yeast was isolated from one of the 20 strains found in a bottle of mcewans after world war two. don't remember what book it was right now, but anyway, it really is a shame.:(

Yeast from a McEwan's scotch ale was used to create Duvel just after World War 1. It was cultured by the Galileo of brewing science, Jean de Clerck, at Moortgat brewery in Belgium. Duvel at the time was a darker strong beer, and would remain that way until the 70's when it was redesigned to be the very light golden strong we get today.

Stan Hieronymus details this a bit in his Brew Like a Monk (look up Duvel in index). Also, see Michael Jackson's beerhunter website.

Yeast from a McEwan's scotch ale was used to create Duvel just after World War 1. . . . .

That's what it was, thanx, I wasn't thinking too clearly on Friday night after 60hr work week:cross:And pool with the boys:drunk:in the man cave:rockin:

Heineken bought McEwans brand in 2004 and closed the brewery. They were brewed at Caledonian.

A much smaller company recently bought the brand and discontinued the scotch. So Heineken is certainly not to blame for this beer being discontinued and this is a counterexample to the notion that only big companies do bad things.

Heineken bought McEwans brand in 2004 and closed the brewery. They were brewed at Caledonian.

A much smaller company recently bought the brand and discontinued the scotch. So Heineken is certainly not to blame for this beer being discontinued and this is a counterexample to the notion that only big companies do bad things.

I'd be interested to know the name of this smaller company, does this mean they brew the other mcewans, just not the scotch ale? Do they export?

Wow that looks good, what was your source for that recipe? It appears to be really close to me for a 5 gallon batch.:mug:

It is for a 5 gallon batch. Very tasty, indeed. I'll have to make it again, it has been quite some time since I made it last. :mug:

IT'S BACK!!! Check you local stores, it's everywhere and every bit as good as before, although a tad more expensive, $8/4pack. Well worth it in my opinion.

It's a shame McEwen's Export tastes like raw bumholes really.

Don't really see the Scotch Ale here, probably they make it mostly for export markets. Which is weird given the Export is so common up here in Scootyland, you'd have thought the name would mean it gets exported. Wikipedia claims it's an IPA but it tastes nothing like one. Other Scottish beers include Tennent's and Belhaven which are both pish as well, but don't tell any Scots I was ripping on Tennent's or they'll probably rip my entrails out.

I didn't realise it was brewed at Caledonian - Deuchars brew there now assuming it's the same place and their stuff is decent enough http://www.caledonianbeer.com/beers/#permanent

Apparently the bottled McEwen's stuff is now brewed down in Bedford in England, with only the draught being made in Scotland.

Interesting, thanx for posting. I was afraid a change in brewplace would change the flavour but it seems the same to me. Good to know the export isnt worth exporting, I've never seen it here.

Back