need help with surly furious clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rguardian989

Reaction score
the next brew ive planned is a furious ipa clone.

midwest sells a kit that was made with the help of surly's brewers
6 lbs. of Gold liquid malt extract
3.3 lbs of Amber liquid malt extract
4 oz. of Crystal 50-60L,

1 oz. warrior hops 60 min
2 oz. blend of Simcoe and Amarillo hops - divided into 5 equal parts and added every 5 mins for the last 20 of the boil
3 oz. of Simcoe and Amarillo and Ahtanum blend for dry hop 7 - 10 days

WLP 007 dry english ale

Yesterday i saw a recipe in BYO mag that read very different but was allegedly made with the help of surly

6.6 # Light LME
1.5 # hugh baird or simpson golden promise
10 oz Belgian aromatic 25L
12 oz crystal 60L
2 oz roast barley 480L

3AAU Ahtanum First Wort Hop
20AAU Warrior 60 min
4.8 AAU Warrior hops 2 mins
1.5 aau ahtanum 2 mins
2.5 aau amarillo 2 mins
3.2 aau simcoe 2 mins

all dry hops are 1 week
.25oz ahtanum dry hop
.25oz amarillo dry hop
.25oz Simcoe dry hop
.25oz warrior dry hop

.5 tsp yeast nutrient 15 mins
.5 tsp irish moss 30 mins

WLP 007 Dry english ale or wyeast 1335

i have absolutely no idea which one to use and i also thought golden promise was a mash grain not a steeping grain but it says to steep it in the second recipe

anyone have any thoughts on which would be more accurate/tasty??\

The Midwest kit is fantastic. I haven't had a surly to compare it to, but it was one of my favorites so far.

I have my own clone version in primary now, that was created with the help of the above thread. I intentionally did not stray to far from the Midwest hop schedule (the original version with ahtanum, simcoe and amarillo dryhop, Warrior for boil.)

jason

The BYO version seems to match the info on Surly's webiste much better (although I would probably double the late boil and dry hop additions):

STYLE: American India Pale Ale
MALT: Pale Ale, Golden Promise, Aromatic, Medium Crystal, Roasted Barley
HOPS: Warrior, Ahtanum, Simcoe, Amarillo
YEAST: English Ale

OG: 15º Plato
ABV: 6.5% v/v
COLOR: 27 ºSRM
IBU: 99
AVAILABILITY: Cans and Kegs Year Round

Yeoowwww! SIMCOE hops! I am currently brewing an IPA with Cascade and Simcoe hops. I just opened a Surly Furious at the same time I opened my hops, and it hit me. Furious has Simcoe in it. Honestly, I think it is the first time I have been able to distinguish an ingredient so clearly.

Yeoowwww! SIMCOE hops! I am currently brewing an IPA with Cascade and Simcoe hops. I just opened a Surly Furious at the same time I opened my hops, and it hit me. Furious has Simcoe in it. Honestly, I think it is the first time I have been able to distinguish an ingredient so clearly.

I agree. Furious is what introduced me to Simcoe, and I now crave it. I currently have the Midwest extract Ferocious kit in the secondary now, can't wait.

Back