NanoBrewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First post in the thread. I'm glad everything has been running pretty well for you! Have you made any additions to the brewery itself recently?

No new additions yet. Right now what I need to do is organize and get shelving built for grain storage and make room for more fermenters. I think the next step is a bigger brewery. :cross:

I have not logged on in quite a while. It's great to see that good things are happening. Good luck with the expansion.

I might be one of 50 people in the world who know where Drain is...Lived in Curtain when I was little!!! Wow. Do u know the 3 story built into the mt. that used to have a dumbwaiter? I spent a lot of time daydreamin in the 3 story treehouse up the hill!!!

Sorry for the OT thread hijack!

Heh, there is another fellow on here from Drain as well. Go figure. We just moved to town a few years back. I haven't seen the 3 story built into the mt. though, that sounds pretty cool. What road is it out on?

Brother, I was 5 (now 33;)) It used to have a dumbwaiter/ elevator that ran thru it, but heard they replaced it w/ a spiral staircase. Ask around, I/m sure it's still there!!! The top floor is all master suite, the middle is living, kitchen (they share a chimney) with huge bay windows across the front, the bottom is in a U w/ a built in greenhouse/ mudroom/ garden room. Huge hippy hot tub on the ground floor:rockin: Used to have indoor composting toilets, no septic, might have updated. For a 5 yr old, the place was heaven! Good memories, good times...

Your success is an inspiration to all of us who dream of turning our beloved hobby into something bigger, better, badder...Best of luck to you and thank you for keeping us up to date w/ this thread. Slainte my friend, keep livin the dream!!!

Thank you all for your encouraging words. It hasn't been without its pitfalls, that's for sure. As it has grown I've had to adjust my techniques in brewing which has had its consequences. When you depend on each 10 gallon batch it's a set back to have it ruined by not paying attention during transitions. Scorching was an issue for me which ruined a batch by imparting the burnt flavor into the brew. I've resolved that issue and have continued to learn a lot about my brewing methods.
This is a doable thing for anyone willing to put in the time and effort required.
Call it a labor of love but when total strangers tell you how good your beer is and are willing to put down their hard earned cash to take some home, it's a mighty good feeling. :mug:
Today I'm serving at a fund raiser so I hope to get more feed back from people.
I'll keep you all posted.

are willing to put down their hard earned cash to take some home

This is an important thing. People do not separate themselves from their money very easily and when you start a business you are no longer brewing for yourself. Good luck!

I have been following this thread closely as this is almost exactly what I want to do.

wow did this thread take a great turn around page 50! from building the shed/brewery to now getting your 7bbl system. wow, just awesome:mug: congrats sir:) i can't wait to hear about the trial and errors of brewing on such a large scale; 10 gal to 210 gal is quite the jump!! good luck and as others have stated, you're an inspiration.

Thanks. :mug: Due to circumstances beyond my control, the 7 bbl hasn't been delivered yet. But that's okay since I'm not quite there yet.
This is the stage of the business I like and that's introducing new brews and getting feed back on my own recipes. I introduced an American Amber Ale that I call "Miners Gold Ale" and the few people that have tasted it have given positive feed back. I'm working on establishing a few brews that are my constants and then I'll probably have one tap that I rotate through new ideas.

So not that you don't have a million and one things to do but have you started dreaming about a 1 year anniversary beer? I bet it would taste great no matter what it was!

Good luck and we're drinking for ya.

Thanks. :mug: Due to circumstances beyond my control, the 7 bbl hasn't been delivered yet. But that's okay since I'm not quite there yet.
This is the stage of the business I like and that's introducing new brews and getting feed back on my own recipes. I introduced an American Amber Ale that I call "Miners Gold Ale" and the few people that have tasted it have given positive feed back. I'm working on establishing a few brews that are my constants and then I'll probably have one tap that I rotate through new ideas.

Just read the whole thread man, congrats on being FUC*ING AWESOME.

How much regular business do you have other than customers coming in the store?

Did that place across the street pan out? How about that market?

Just read the whole thread man, congrats on being FUC*ING AWESOME.

How much regular business do you have other than customers coming in the store?

Did that place across the street pan out? How about that market?

Right now as far as regular business it's the walk-in customers to the shop and the Cafe across the street. I'm trying to decide what beer to sell to the market. I'm thinking my Scottish Wee Heavy in 22 oz bombers since they don't have a high gravity beer like that right now. And it can command the higher price tag they'll need to put on it.

Right now as far as regular business it's the walk-in customers to the shop and the Cafe across the street. I'm trying to decide what beer to sell to the market. I'm thinking my Scottish Wee Heavy in 22 oz bombers since they don't have a high gravity beer like that right now. And it can command the higher price tag they'll need to put on it.

Great to hear things are going well though, living the dream man!

If you're taking suggestions that Boston Red is a good staple as well. Just killed off the 6'er and was very pleased. How about an IPA or something along those lines.

Really interesting thread. I am curious about what you do for ingredients. Do you just buy bulk at your local brew store and reuse the yeast?

If you're taking suggestions that Boston Red is a good staple as well. Just killed off the 6'er and was very pleased. How about an IPA or something along those lines.

Really interesting thread. I am curious about what you do for ingredients. Do you just buy bulk at your local brew store and reuse the yeast?

The Boston Red is what's being carried by the Cafe across the street. We just changed the name to make it a private label for them. It's called "California Red Ale".

I buy bulk ingredients but I don't have a LHBS store around here. With my license I get a good deal even with shipping.
I'm not reusing yeast yet because I'm still trying different brews with different yeasts. Soon I'll have a few recipes that I'll use consistently and then I'll just reuse the yeast.

Decided to organize the fermentation room. Here's what I did:

Ferment room1.jpg

Ferment room2jpg.jpg

Ferment room3.jpg

Ferment room4.jpg

How big are your batches and how many times a week do you brew. I see you are using pails for fermenters. Have you tried anything else? I am trying to decide what I am going to use for fermenting and tax determination. I will be brewing about 3 barrels in a day with two batches. I bought 4 55 gallon drums so I can kinda double up and save a bit of time.

How big are your batches and how many times a week do you brew. I see you are using pails for fermenters. Have you tried anything else? I am trying to decide what I am going to use for fermenting and tax determination. I will be brewing about 3 barrels in a day with two batches. I bought 4 55 gallon drums so I can kinda double up and save a bit of time.

I average a 10 gallon batch per week. I have fermented in a converted Sanke keg but I prefer the pails for now. I'm keeping it small and simple as long as I can.

I'm going the sanke fermenter route, but am wondering why you prefer the pails?

I'll probably use the Sankes I have for the high gravity brews like my Strong Scotch Ale but I like the pails better because I can see what's going on and they are easy to clean. ;)

Excellent work my good man. Just read this whole thing (for the most part). Inspiring stuff, EXCITING stuff! Keep up the hard work, its got to be a great feeling to tool around in your brewery and tasting room knowing that YOU created it!

Cheers

Just read through everything as well- a really amazing story and a pretty quick development! Please keep us updated and best of luck!

Curious finding since I started selling my brew. I thought I would get more support from locals and local brewers but that doesn't seem to be the case. Majority of my business is the walk by tourist. I guess I need to do more advertising or something. I know there are a number of homebrewers in the area but I haven't seen them.

Curious finding since I started selling my brew. I thought I would get more support from locals and local brewers but that doesn't seem to be the case. Majority of my business is the walk by tourist. I guess I need to do more advertising or something. I know there are a number of homebrewers in the area but I haven't seen them.

+1 on the advertising, have to give the locals a reason to come in and check it out!

Crack dealer rules? first (ounce or two) is free, pay for your next fix (of bottles/pints)

+1 on the advertising, have to give the locals a reason to come in and check it out!

Crack dealer rules? first (ounce or two) is free, pay for your next fix (of bottles/pints)

:D I've done that. I've not charged a person for the tasting if they go ahead and buy a six pack.

:D I've done that. I've not charged a person for the tasting if they go ahead and buy a six pack.

I know one of our local brewerys will give you 5 samples per visit, which isn't enough to try everything that they have available. That's one of the biggest reasons I go there.

I was reading a blog post about a brewery in Montana which has a interesting Mug Club.
http://www.wedigbeer.com/mugclub.html

The number of slots are limited, and if you don't visit for 3 months, you lose your spot. New openings are awarded based on patronage, and they have a waiting list of around 190 people. Anyway, thought it was a neat idea.

I know one of our local brewerys will give you 5 samples per visit, which isn't enough to try everything that they have available. That's one of the biggest reasons I go there.

I was reading a blog post about a brewery in Montana which has a interesting Mug Club.
http://www.wedigbeer.com/mugclub.html

The number of slots are limited, and if you don't visit for 3 months, you lose your spot. New openings are awarded based on patronage, and they have a waiting list of around 190 people. Anyway, thought it was a neat idea.

That is a cool idea. Their waiting list is more than 10% of the population of Mariposa. :D I spoke to a sign guy and he's making a nice sign for me which should help the locals get the word out.

Back