Going to need a Propane Burner...........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
5 gallon minimum.....with hopes that I will eventually be able to do full boils which require 6.5 gallons if I'm not mistaken due to evaporation.

An half hour to heat 1 gallon on a gas stove is awefull, may want to have your stove looked at. Id say if you gonna spend some cash, get something you can use as you develop your skills so you dont necessarily have to upgrade the next step.

Just a tip: One can also turn their water heaters up to near boil to reduce time for large or even small scale stove boil batches. Good luck and happy brewing!

You can get decent burners with a pot (which you are also looking for) pretty cheap. Browse around Amazon, Sears and similar stores. Not sure what pot you settled on, but I'm happy with my 30qt pot + burner combo from Sears I picked up for $50. Recently, I've started doing 3.5 gallon stovetop batches since I live on the 12th story of an apartment overlooking Lake Erie in Cleveland. Talk about wind!

I'd have to agree that 30 min for 1g on a gas stove is horrible. If your pot is squat instead of tall, you can straddle two burners. This works especially well if you have gas. Not so great with electric elements.

You have to turn your burner on high :)

Any propane burner above 55,000 BTU will boil 6.5 gallons. If you are going to do double batches you might want to go bigger. Make sure it is rated to handle the weight.

Just a tip: One can also turn their water heaters up to near boil to reduce time for large or even small scale stove boil batches. Good luck and happy brewing!

The cold water inlet tube in your water tank is made out of PVC, it is designed for water in the 125 range, if you heat it up higher the temperature will break down the PVC. As the pipe breaks down it will start mixing cold water into the hot water area making your tank about useless until you pay someone to fix it for you. As well, this is dangerous as the tanks were not designed for near boiling temps and if you have kids who unwittingly turn on the hot water they could get instant 2-3 degree burns.

I'm telling you all I put a 4.5 quart pot with 1 gallon of water on the biggest eye I have and set the flame on high. My dial goes from 1 to 9 (9 being the highest flame). On 9 it took 30 minutes to get the gallon boiling! If I dropped it to 8 the water almost quit moving. The funny thing to me is the flame was pretty big so I can't quit understand why there was such a lack in heat but it's obvious it's not going to suffice my needs.

i got an elect stove flat glass top and it takes 45 to boil water for pasta it's horrible.(on high with a lid) So i'm in the same boat as u looking for a burner. Waiting on a keggle but i think it's sold. So if thats the case i'm going with the turkey fryer w a burner with it. When i expand turn the ss pot that came with a turkey fryer in to a HLT so there no waste it can grow with you

I just looked online and found turkey fryers with 8 gallon pots for under $75 at many local hardware stores. Considering the pots I've been shopping for have been $55-$100 it's a steal since it includes a fryer as well.

I'm going to head out and see what I can find as this now seems to be the best option for me based on my outstanding stove top.

I think you will be happy with that. Like I said, I've been using a similar setup with a cheap aluminum pot for ~2 years now.

Back