wildflower mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insnekamkze86

Reaction score
Hello there i am thinking about making a wildflower mead soon and was wondering is that kind of honey good for making mead? The batch i was thinkin of is a 6 gallon batch with 12lbs of wildflower mead, some heather tips and some rose hips in cherry juice. mixed together, what you people think?

Honey is honey - at least on the apples to apples comparison level. The thing that seperates the different kind is the distinct flavors of the plants the pollen was gathered from and the locality of the plants. "They" (being the bees) make a citrus honey, a clove, a wildflower, and several others.

Short story: Yes, wildflower honey will be fine.

I would not go with Cherry juice... but rather pureed cherries. Just my two sense.

With only 2 lbs. of honey per gallon you won't get a sweet mead. I'd use 3 lbs. per gallon or more. Also, use a yeast nutrient to help the yeast along.

Vic

I agree with aminal that it will turn out very dry, even if you just did a 5 gallon batch with the same amount of honey. Wildflower honey varries from state to state and with the season. For instance it is a light colored honey in the spring where I live, more medium amber colored in mid summer, and finally a dark color in fall. I've gotten into honey tasting lately. Its been fun trying different types of honey. I'm suprised at the wide range of flavor. You might want to get a bunch of small jars and taste test before you pick a honey for mead making.

okay thank you for your replies i have been in bed all day sick so im just now checking the forum. My last batch wasnt really sweet either it was dry but now completely dry i could taste some of the honey and that was with clover honey to. I am wanting to include cherries somehow but know how. Wasnt sure about using juice thats why i was asking.

I have never used heather tips, but rose petals should be good with the cherry juice. I haven't used cherry juice either. Is it concentrated. I saw some of that and blueberry juice at the store and was thinking of using the blueberry for my blueberry melomel. Make sure to read the label and don't use it if there are any preservatives.

Back