Timing and recipe reduction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
A friend of mine approached me today about brewing a keg for NFL's opening sunday (September 10). I told him I had the ingredients on hand to do a pale and he said that would be perfect. I'm wondering, to keep body, flavor and hop profile in balance, how much fermentables I could cut out (if I need to cut out andy) to make sure it's done fermenting in the next three weeks, so I can keg it for the last few days. Right now I'm doing a mini/partial mash with 2lbs of 2-row american pale malt, 1lb. crystal malt and 1/2 lb toasted malted barley. In addition, I have 6lbs of pale dme.

Thoughts?

Thanks, as always.

BREW ON:mug:

Three weeks is plenty of time for all but and imperial or barleywine. Hit it with a good starter. I'd shoot for a OG under 1.050, more for faster conditioning than anything.

I usually do my starters 36 hours in advance. I used the DME amount my "stock" starter instructions called a "high-gravity" starter--1.5 cups in 1300 mL of water. I figure that will give me a plentiful amount of yeasties but it will most likely still be actively fermenting when I pitch, which I've read speeds up the initial onset of fermentation.

BTW, in case I didn't tell you earlier...the CoC Brown was a HUGE hit at the wedding...thanks again for the recipe!

I am curious about one thing, though...If I wanted to give it a more pronounced "nut" brown flavor, would I up the amount or add in victory and biscuit malts?

Thanks.

Back