Hoegaarden clone problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flucky07

Reaction score
Im not sure if this is actually such a big problem but it has been over 1 month about 1 month and 3 days since i brewed my hoegaarden clone. I cracked one the other day and it was carbonated fully which was great. The only problem i noticed is that it has a very strong corriander or bitter peel taste. It does not have the "light" taste like bottled hoegaarden taste does. It is only a little over a month old.

Do you think the taste will get better if i leave it go for a while, and the taste will mellow out as per the corriander and peel tastes.

Also next batch i want to add lemon extract or real lemon to it. What do you guys think?

Eric

what was your recipe? (You've got me wondering about my own Wit that's in the primary right now... I haven't tasted it yet, but will tonight.)

-walker

I will post the recipie when i get home. I know that when brewing the corriander seed that you crush up is absolutly overpowering lol...i was like whoa

I think the trick to cloning Hoegaarden is to go light on the coriander & orange peel. The good news is it will mellow with time.

well.. I tasted mine a little while ago.
  • pretty thin
  • very little orange
  • hardly any corriander flavor
That pisses me off.

I just boiled up a "band-aid" for it. Another 1.25 lbs of DME, another 0.25 oz of orange peel, another tsp of corriander.

(oh.. and I boiled it over while typing a PM to Dude :))

I'm getting ready to dump the fix-it-up into the carboy now. Hopefully this makes it a little better. The brew is pretty lackluster as it is.

-walker

Can you each post your recipe (on the spices). I'm hoping to do one this weekend using:

1/4 oz. orange peel
1 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. grains of paradise

Belgian White

Our thirst-quenching wheat beer is a authentic rendition of this classic style. While the wheat has a mild flavor, the coriander, bitter Curacao, and Belgian yeast give it its distinctive taste. The wheat malt extract imparts a cloudy pale gold color, topped with a light frothy head.

Ingredients
8 lb. Alexander's Wheat Malt Extract (2 cans)
1 oz. Tettnang Hops (Bittering)
1 oz. Crushed Coriander (Finishing)
½ oz. Bitter Curacao (Orange Peel) (Finishing)
Wyeast # 3944 Belgian White Yeast

Procedure
Before starting, make sure your liquid yeast will be ready to add to the beer. Plan on putting your fermenter where the temperature is within the temperature range listed on the Wyeast yeast package.

Soak the cans of malt extract in hot water for 20-30 minutes so that the syrup will be easier to pour.
Put 1 1/2 gallons of water in your kettle and bring to boil.
Right before the water starts to boil, remove the kettle from heat and add the cans of malt extract. Keep the kettle off the burner and stir until the malt extract is completely dissolved.
Put the pot back on the burner and bring it to a boil. Avoid messy boil-overs by reducing heat or momentarily removing the pot from heat. Once boiling commences, add the bittering hops (if using whole hops or plug hops place in a muslin bag) and boil for 1 hour (set a timer).
50 minutes from when the boil started, add the coriander and Curacao.
After 60 minutes of boiling, turn off the heat.
If you are using whole hops or plug hops remove hops from the kettle, cover your pot and cool in an ice bath (use your sink) for 20 minutes.
After the wort (stuff in your pot) is cool, add 2 gallons of water to sanitized fermenter, add the cooled wort (if using pelletized hops pour through a sanitized strainer), and top up fermenter with additional water to bring total volume to 5 gallons.
Take hydrometer reading (optional).
When the temperature of your wort and fermenter is below 78º F (check your stick-on thermometer strip) add yeast. When using liquid yeast make sure you sanitize the yeast package and scissors.
Bottle when fermentation is complete.

This is my complete recipie...If i was brewing this again to the people who have not done this yet. I would probobly add 1/2 oz of corriander crushed. you will see when you mash it with a rolling pin...also i would use prolly 1/4 oz corraco...I think that should get you with a "lighter" orange taste and corraco taste. mine is overwhelming. I may also add some rice solids to lighten the color as well. Also think (if you drink hoegaarden with a lemon) maybe adding some fresh cut lemon to the primary. Also i would NOT use a secondary for this brew. You want **some** yeast on the bottom of your bottles it does make a difference and i like it that way.

Eric

Eric

Fatabbot said:
Funny, that describes Hoegaarden to me. Bland bland bland. Maybe you nailed the recipe? :)

I personally love hoegaarden... Its just so expensive for a 1/6 that its much cheaper to make it and clone it...

Flucky07 said:
Ingredients
8 lb. Alexander's Wheat Malt Extract (2 cans)
1 oz. Tettnang Hops (Bittering)
1 oz. Crushed Coriander (Finishing)
½ oz. Bitter Curacao (Orange Peel) (Finishing)
Wyeast # 3944 Belgian White Yeast

Holy ****, that's a lot of corriander. No wonder it was over-powering.

The Hoegaadten clone recipe that I saw (and very loosely based mine on) in Beer Captured called for only 1.25 teaspoons... no where near an ounce!

-walker

Flucky07 said:
I personally love hoegaarden... Its just so expensive for a 1/6 that its much cheaper to make it and clone it...

Don't get me wrong, it's a good summertime beer. Very refreshing.

However, as you said it's fairly expensive. For what I'd pay at my local pub for one I could get two much more flavorable local brews.

To me, if I pay a high price for a beer, it better be a very flavorful beer.

I've never actually had Hoegaarden. Ive had Blue Moon, Ommegang's Witt, and a couple Wits at a beer festival (one excellent, one terrible).

I don't find BM to be bland. Light in flavor, yes, but not bland.

-walker

Walker-san said:
I've never actually had Hoegaarden. Ive had Blue Moon, Ommegang's Witt, and a couple Wits at a beer festival (one excellent, one terrible).

I don't find BM to be bland. Light in flavor, yes, but not bland.

-walker

Well, I've had BM and Hoegaarden back to back at a bar. BM definitely has a stronger flavor. I like Blue Moon much more than Hoegaarden. Hoe always seems watered down to me.

Not to mention Blue Moon is a more reasonably priced beer.

Back