Carbonation in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkarnas

Reaction score
Day 7 in the secondary (day 14 overall) for a blonde ale and substantial carbonation is visible in one of the carboys. Pulled a sample to get a reading and CO2 bubbles coming from my sample and visible in carboy. Is this normal? I've never seen this. You can see CO2 coming to the top of the carboy. It was a heavier blonde at a 1.060 OG. Why is the other carboy of the same batch not doing this?

The fermentation process creates a lot of gasses that remain in suspension to some degree. Changes in pressure, bumping the vessel, temperature can all affect their release from suspension and that is what you are seeing, off gassing. perhaps in drawing the sample you bumped the vessel or removal of the air lock changed the pressure within. What ever it is I would not worry about it and it is not carbonation of the beer.

For CO2 production you either need to add sugar for the yeast to consume or introduce it by kegging it.

Beer-lord said:
That's not carbonation but more likely residual fermentation. That can happen for many reasons.

I was going to cold crash it today and keg it tomorrow. Shall I wait a couple days? Gravity reading have been the same last 2 days, but bubbles are still present and little airlock activity.

mkarnas said:
I was going to cold crash it today and keg it tomorrow. Shall I wait a couple days? Gravity reading have been the same last 2 days, but bubbles are still present and little airlock activity.

If the gravity readings are stable and you know the beer is done fermenting then it's just off gassing and you can cold crag whenever you want.

If you are not 100% sure it's done fermenting then you need to wait.

I struggled with what looked like continued fermentation in my secondaries. Turned out I be a different conversion - most likely ethanol to acetic acid (happens with warm temps and excess oxygen getting in during transfer to secondary). Since I don't have a lagering setup, I now just do extended primary and rack to keg. Have not seen it since.

Back