Cold Crash with Mr Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draken

Reaction score
I think the title says it all. Should I cold crash prior to bottling with a Mr Beer kit? I was thinking the night before bottling tossing it in the fridge and then bottling the next afternoon. Anyone have any thoughts one way or the other on that one?

Nah it's Mr. Beer. Just follow the directions and you can't go wrong. First beer I ever did was a Mr. Beer. Not to bad a beer either.

It's my first batch, I already had to alter the recipe as is. The booster pack was torn when I opened the kit. So I went to my LHBS and got a pound of light dme to replace it. I am finding it difficult not to buy a full setup, but the wife is helping with the restraint... I want to brew another batch!!!!

Your resolve is strong now, but you cannot resist the force forever!
I went from Mr. Beer (mostly bad experiences because of "bargin" old brews/yeasts.), to Coopers kits, to kits from AHS, to my first non kit recipe (Bee Cave Pale Ale). It just keeps getting better and better. I have two brews fermenting right now, staggered bottling days. When I've had both fermenters empty, I started to feel a little anxious... I've tried more types of beers since I started brewing than I can list off the top of my head.

So I pulled some into a shot glass and it's definitely a bit cloudy. So my questions are: if I leave it an additional week will it get clearer? Or does the spigot at the bottom mean I will always pull a haze in a sample? Can I pop ye olde Mr B in the fridge overnight to drop some of the yeast out of suspension? I plan on carbing/conditioning for 2 weeks.

So I pulled some into a shot glass and it's definitely a bit cloudy. So my questions are: if I leave it an additional week will it get clearer? Or does the spigot at the bottom mean I will always pull a haze in a sample? Can I pop ye olde Mr B in the fridge overnight to drop some of the yeast out of suspension? I plan on carbing/conditioning for 2 weeks.

It will clear in the bottles after you're done carbing/conditioning. I find a couple weeks in the cellar gets the beer nice and clear.

I personally have cold crashed my Mr Beer keg and it cleared it up drastically after 24 hours before I bottled. You will get answers either way I bet and it really comes to personal preference. If you aren't transfering to a bottling bucket to batch prime, it really helps to keep the trub in the keg and out of your bottles.

I'm making a brew now with a partial mash in my Mr Beer keg. I'm gunna cold crash for 24 hrs before bottling. Kinda worried to much gunk will drop near the spigot

Prop the front end up with a couple of old CD cases or something. I do that throughout fermentation & during cold-crashing so the trub settles farther away from the spigot.

Back