Carbonating Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigstoo

Reaction score
Hello All.

I wonder if I could ask a little advice?

Generally, I brew beer but I thought I'd have a go at cider.
I had a 1 gallon demijohn unused, so I went out and bought a gallon of apple juice, some sugar and some wine yeast.

Everything went well - plenty of CO2 being given off. At the end of fermentation it cleared very nicely. I've tasted it, and it's very nice indeed but obviously it's flat.

I've put it in some plastic bottles with priming sugar in the hope of carbonating it, but nothing seems to be happening. I't been about 3 days now and the bottles aren't getting any "fatter".

Did I leave it to clear too long? Am I destined to have flat cider?

Hello All.

I wonder if I could ask a little advice?

Generally, I brew beer but I thought I'd have a go at cider.
I had a 1 gallon demijohn unused, so I went out and bought a gallon of apple juice, some sugar and some wine yeast.

Everything went well - plenty of CO2 being given off. At the end of fermentation it cleared very nicely. I've tasted it, and it's very nice indeed but obviously it's flat.

I've put it in some plastic bottles with priming sugar in the hope of carbonating it, but nothing seems to be happening. I't been about 3 days now and the bottles aren't getting any "fatter".

Did I leave it to clear too long? Am I destined to have flat cider?

I am no expert but could it be escaping?

3 days seems like way too short a time to expect carbonation. For my beer, 3 weeks at room temp is the minimum I would expect to give it for decent carb.

How long did you let the cider ferment/age for? I expect cider will take even longer than beer since it has probably been sitting longer. I wouldn't start worrying for AT LEAST 3 weeks.

Also, how much priming sugar did you use? What temp are your bottles at?

I've found that my ciders take a bit longer to carb than beer, and can take as long as two months to carb up properly, depending on how long I let the cider sit and clear.

Bit late to the party but thought I'd add my 2p, around 8 weeks for cider carbonation. 3 days you will have pretty much nothing.

I've noticed signs of carbonation within hours (albeit with beer), so it always surprises me when people talk of 'months' for carbonation! I guess it depends on how long you condition for before bottling. It makes sense that if you don't bottle for 3 weeks, it'll take the few remaining cells a little while to get going on your priming sugar.

Latest posts

Back