Dumped it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullDraw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got thru dumping 15 bottles of a very poor batch of Red Zinfandel. It's sad to hear it glug from the bottle, knowing that no one could appreciate it. I have 12 more to go, but needed to step back and reflect on my original errors.

#1. Don't have your out of town friend get your juice, add some sugar and start the fermentation. Get it yourself.

#2. If it comes from California, it doesn't need anything but love and attention. Sugar can be a bad thing.

#3. If it tastes like crap, and you add sugar to sweeten it before you bottle, it's still crap, just sweetened crap. Again, sugar can be a bad thing.

So, off to dump the rest. It's a $50 lesson, but a quality one. I waited 6 years to see it improve, now it'll take 30 minutes to clean the bottles:(

It wasn't any good for cooking, believe me, we didn't save the leftovers. Vinegar with sugar in it is a waste. Pennsylvania has it's fair share of stills, but mine's not up and running, but I like the way you think. It's gone now, but at least I reclaimed all those bottles for a future batch.

Back