Grain bag usage w/ False Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlendieOfIndie

Reaction score
Hey guys, almost a silly question:

I went the extra distance and got a false bottom for my MLT (5gal Rubbermaid). Would it hurt if I also used a grain bag (ie. problems w/ channeling, efficiency, etc)? The purpose would be so that I can easily remove the grains for disposal. I'm planning to fly sparge.
Thx

Thx.
I re-use the grain bag.
The tricky part of cleaning is the lack of space in these CA apartments. I wish I had a nice compost pile to just dump the spent grains on.

Grain will have to be disposed of whether its in a bag or not and you'll be cleaning one more thing if you want to use the bag. I think it's a wash, just about the same amount of work either way.

bensyverson said:
Would it be possible to use a grain bag and no false bottom?
I've been doing all my PM with a grain bag in a bottling bucket for my sparging. I've been mashing around 7 1/2 lbs in the grain bag. I use the lid from my 3 gallon mash pot to flow the water on top of when sparging. This prevents any channeling of the grain. This set up works great for me.

Warrior said:
I've been doing all my PM with a grain bag in a bottling bucket for my sparging. I've been mashing around 7 1/2 lbs in the grain bag. I use the lid from my 3 gallon mash pot to flow the water on top of when sparging. This prevents any channeling of the grain. This set up works great for me.

I would love to hear some more about that. I start losing efficiency above about three pounds or so of grain...

Back