Cream Ale AG Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing this now to share with some of my BMC buddies. I changed the hops to galaxy and modified the grain bill to
10 lbs 6 row
1 lb flaked corn
1 lb biscuit
1 lb carapils

1 oz galaxy @ 60
1/2 oz galaxy @ 10
1/2 oz galaxy @ flame out

Plan on making this over the weekend. My LHBS was out of Maris Otter so I bought some 2 row instead. Think that will make much of a difference??

Plan on making this over the weekend. My LHBS was out of Maris Otter so I bought some 2 row instead. Think that will make much of a difference??

It should be great! MO has a lot of malt flavor to me, a bready flavor, and that's really out of place in a cream ale (but I liked it anyway). The US 2-row will make a cleaner crisper beer, and should be really good.

It should be great! MO has a lot of malt flavor to me, a bready flavor, and that's really out of place in a cream ale (but I liked it anyway). The US 2-row will make a cleaner crisper beer, and should be really good.

Crap..I prefer the malty/bready taste, but I guess I was making this beer more for the wife then myself. LOL, she doesn't really like anything other then the normal BMC stuff. And then she usually goes and ruins it anyway with tomato juice. I know....it's a midwest thing. I think it's nasty.

Ok, I wasn't thinking when I was grinding up my grain and accidently put in a full pound of carapils and biscuit rather then the 1/2 pound it calls for. How much is this going to change the OG of this recipe? Just so I know how close I am when it comes out. Also, how much do you think this might alter the flavor??

Ok, I wasn't thinking when I was grinding up my grain and accidently put in a full pound of carapils and biscuit rather then the 1/2 pound it calls for. How much is this going to change the OG of this recipe? Just so I know how close I am when it comes out. Also, how much do you think this might alter the flavor??

An extra pound of grain won't affect the SG all that much. As far as flavor, it'll be "drier" in the flavor due to doubling the biscuit malt.

167 is too hot to mash at... if you add the grain to 167 water, you should lose somewhere around 10 degrees, so you'd be at 157, which would work, but will give you a lot of unfermentables. I usually go for 152 as the mash temp, it's a good middle of the road temp, will get the beer reasonably dry, but with some body left.

that should work. if it comes out too hot, add a bit of cold water and stir. if its not hot enough, add some boiling water.

Yopper, this sounds great. Been wanting to brew a cream ale. What would you suggest for yeast? Thanks.

Just kegged a batch of this last night. The sample tasted great and I'm looking forward to the final product!

How do you think this would taste as a lager? I've got 2 quarts of washed wyeast 2007 that I've been looking for a recipe for, but I've never used Maris Otter in a lager before. I have all the ingredients and I have some Notty, S-05 and probably S-04 in the fridge. Should I go with the 2007 or Notty?
I'm looking for something my BMC friends can drink around the pool when it's hot in the middle of the summer. I have a cream ale and a pilsner that fall into that catagory but I need to get something else in the pipline.
Suggestions?

How do you think this would taste as a lager? I've got 2 quarts of washed wyeast 2007 that I've been looking for a recipe for, but I've never used Maris Otter in a lager before. I have all the ingredients and I have some Notty, S-05 and probably S-04 in the fridge. Should I go with the 2007 or Notty?
I'm looking for something my BMC friends can drink around the pool when it's hot in the middle of the summer. I have a cream ale and a pilsner that fall into that catagory but I need to get something else in the pipline.
Suggestions?

This is definitely "cream ale" flavor, and it probably would be great as a lager.

I've been drinking this now for a few weeks from the keg. Very clear, clean and tasty. Perfect for after a workout or after some yard work.

My friends just muRdered my keg of this beer today. I subbed the biscuit malt for Munich since I didn't have it. After about 2 weeks of "lagering". This beer was really drinkable for a cream ale

we just set this up in Beersmith. Looks to be pretty solid a recipe ya got here. Our Orig gravity measured out at 1.046, and final at 1.010 and our ABV rates out at 4.7%.

bitterness 16.7 IBU's

mash PH suggested at 5.20

brewing this in a few days, looks great on paper.

This brew went off beautifully. We hit a gravity of 1.049, 6 gallons. We used hersbruckers, which smelled incredible, never used them before, we added 1 oz of the Saaz, due to pilot error.., and finished off with a flame out of about 1/2 of the hersbruckers, since co-pilot added the entire ounce insted of 1/2. But we made 6 gallons, looked, smelled awesome. This recipe looks like a winner.

Yooper, I will be brewing this next weekend with some slight modifications. To use up grains I have sitting around. But I had a thought. Could you help me develop an Imperial Cream Ale (9-10%) that has the same balance as the original recipe?? Just an idea. Lemme know what u think.

Yooper, I will be brewing this next weekend with some slight modifications. To use up grains I have sitting around. But I had a thought. Could you help me develop an Imperial Cream Ale (9-10%) that has the same balance as the original recipe?? Just an idea. Lemme know what u think.

I just don't know! I guess you could boost up the fermentables and also the bittering hops to keep the same SG/IBU ratio, but I have no other idea what I would do.

I think I'll put the recipe into Beersmith, scale it up, and use a yeast well suited for, say, Imperial IPA's. one that ferments clean up to 10% with few esthers. Yooper, any suggestions?

I think I'll put the recipe into Beersmith, scale it up, and use a yeast well suited for, say, Imperial IPA's. one that ferments clean up to 10% with few esthers. Yooper, any suggestions?

I"ve never tried a "bigger" cream ale, so I'm clueless on this, sorry! I like my cream ales very light and crisp and quaffable and not with a higher OG than about 1.050-1.054.

Well going by the LHBS today on the way thru town... got my shopping list for this and dead guy ale clone.

Woo hoo!

After a long hot day of working on my home, I like to enjoy a tall refreshing glass of Yooper's American Cream Ale! If you ain't drinkjn Yooper's, you're not American!!

image-179765727.jpg

OK, so let me say... this recipe is F'ing outstanding. We set this on the Co2 about 8 days ago, brewed maybe 4 weeks ago. Last night as we brewed a red IPA, we got into the Yooper cream ale for first time. We are just in love with this stuff. Brought over a neighbor just to make sure we're not gaga over this because we made it.. he was floored, and so was his wife, who doesn't drink beer/ale. This is great. Ours has an ABV of 6% though. I just had 3 pints, and I am feelin it. Once again, i would totally reccomend thisrecipe. It's tremendous.

Yes, Yoopers first post recipe. Very basic. We did have to adjust our mash PH, as with many yellow beers, was not enough lactic acid on it's own. And we adjusted our local water according to PH balance. But everything else, we did just as she instructed. Nice, crisp, dry finish. And 6% is perfect. We're already planning to make another 12 gallons of this in a few weeks. Ground squirrel away a keg or 2 for winter blues.

is it close to spotted cow? i'm not a fan but all my friends salivate if you say the name...and being in IL its not available.

OK, so let me say... this recipe is F'ing outstanding. We set this on the Co2 about 8 days ago, brewed maybe 4 weeks ago. Last night as we brewed a red IPA, we got into the Yooper cream ale for first time. We are just in love with this stuff. Brought over a neighbor just to make sure we're not gaga over this because we made it.. he was floored, and so was his wife, who doesn't drink beer/ale. This is great. Ours has an ABV of 6% though. I just had 3 pints, and I am feelin it. Once again, i would totally reccomend thisrecipe. It's tremendous.

I'm glad you like it! I have just a little bit left and it's supposed to be 91 today, so I have a feeling we'll be finishing it off.

is it close to spotted cow? i'm not a fan but all my friends salivate if you say the name...and being in IL its not available.

No, it's not like Spotted Cow. Spotted Cow has a lighter body and feel- it's got corn in it to help with that. Spotted Cow is more like Biermunchers "Cream of Three Crops", except with all corn instead of rice and corn.

I just filled 8 grolsch bottles with the remainer of this 3 gallon keg, just so we could get keg 2 on the Co2. Curious how the glass will soften the flavor. I do notice, even bottling off the keg, the ale actually bottle conditions after being out of the stainless steel keg.

So what did your guy's taste like after the boil? I just tasted it and its sweet w just a little bit of hops on the end. Not bad actually....

ours was pretty sweet as well, but finished off very dry & crisp. I am actually starting to think we're more in the 6.5% to 7% ABV range. I have one of these and I can feel it. Our efficiency has been up in the 75% area. We seem to be extracting uber amounts of sugars from our grains. Thing is, if this is around 6.5/7% range... you'd never know it by the taste. All in all, this grain bill, combined with this yeast, just works really well together. A perfect marraige so to speak. Sometimes, you find a great combo, I would say this is one.. for us anyhow.

Hate to be juvenile, oh hell.. no I don't.lolol, I just had 2 pints of this after mowig the lawn in 85 degree heat & 100% humidity & a shower. I just about walked into the wall in my dining room... My numbers on this say it is 6%, but my brain says this is easily in the range of 7/7.5%... how can our actual readings be that far off? Is it possible for ale in the 6% range to rockzor your soxzors off in yay such a manner?

Yesterday I was at my brothers re roofing his garage. All day in the sun. Had to stop for about 15 at one point cause I was just to hot to continue!! Came home after about 10 hours in the sun and sat outside, waiting for my turn for the shower. I had one of these. Bottles it about three weeks ago. After one( JUST ONE!!) I stood up and had to sit right back down. I was pretty much hammered!! You gotta be careful when drinkin a Yoopers AG American Cream Ale :)

Did a check today and the reading was already down to 1.028 from 1.049. Tastes like 'beer' that my friends would like.

image-69040958.jpg

Latest posts

Back