How does this look for a pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steber

Reaction score
Much credit to Yooper, as I structured this after her house pale ale, just adjusted hops to utilize my inventory.

Grains:
5lbs Marris Otter
3lbs Vienna Malt
2lbs Munich Malt
8oz Crystal 20L
8oz Crystal 60L

Hops:
.4 oz Magnum - 60 min
.5 oz Warrior - 30 min
.3 oz Simcoe - 10 min
.3 oz Amarillo - 5 min
.5 oz cascade - flameout

1 oz Cascade - dryhop

Yeast:
Pacman

Expected OG : 1.058
IBU: 41.6

Thanks for any input! :mug: Hope to brew this next week.

I'd drink it. Personally I would get down to two different hops if it were me like Magnum and Cascade and adjust until IBUs were what I wanted. Most Pale Ales seem to use one or two types of hops.

I hear what you're saying. I tend to agree, but I'm trying to stay on a budget, and I have 95% of the hops laying around.. I figured magnum and warrior will not contribute to the flavor, and as for the aromatic hops, simcoe, cascade, and amarillo tend to compliment each other as they're all very similar in flavor, so I was hoping to be able to skate away with that as well.

I am sure it will be good with the stats you have I don't see any way it will be too bad outside of something happening. I know I have had a beer with every hop you listed except Warrior (may have had that and not known) and liked the beers with them. It looks like your numbers are really close to the Pale Ale I just brewed and my hydrometer sample was tastier than some store bought beers I have purchased and it wss flat and close to room temp.

What SRM does that calculate out to? May not be as "pale" as some but really who cares as long as it tastes good LOL

Seems a bit dark for being pale.

My area of insight is malts. To make a pale i would say munich and vienna will cause it to be awfully darkish in that high concentration

I'm not too concerned with color, more with the bitterness/hop balance.. the malt backbone seems to get great reviews in yoopers house brew, the hops is the only thing I changed as hers was all cascade.. mine uses a variety of my hops with amounts adjusted to match the original ibus.

I think there's too many hops in the recipe. IF you really want to use two bittering additions, then put them both at 60 minutes. If you have a decent scale, use the amount needed to get the IBU's you want. I would also not bother with a 30 minute hop addition. IMO/IME, better off just putting it to 60 or pull it down to 20 (or closer to the end).

I've not tasted anything with Simcoe or Amarillo in it, but I have had cascade. Not one I like, at all. IF you like it, then use it. Just be 100% sure it's going to go with the other hops you have planned. If they're not going to blend well, then you're better off changing the recipe. Either get hops that will combine well, increase the amount you have that will, or delay the batch until you can.

Firestone walker has a beer that pairs Simcoe, Amarillo and cascade(and centennial) together and its a very tasty beer to boot. So I'm hoping the pairing goes well..

Back