Post ferment salt addition Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundercougarfalconbird

Reaction score
I feel the hops are muted in my Pale ale. I suspect I messed up my baseline water as I was using 2012 nelson and amarillo.
5.5gal batch, 5.3 SRM
10gal distilled water treated
2%acid malt
5g CaCL

I feel Gypsum would have brightened the bitterness. Can I add it post ferment? Will the amount needed vary? I was thinking 3g or so.

It would never occur to me to do this and I've never done it (because I don't like sulfate) but Colin Kaminsky says he does it frequently to asses the potential impact of adding more sulfate in subsequent brews. I'd do what he does. Add a little to a glass of the beer to see how it tastes. Then scale up to the amount needed for the entire volume. Tread lightly. You can always add more but you can't go back.

Excellent.
I don't have a scale accurate to measure that small of weights. Do you happen to have any tricks for measuring such small things?
Gracias sir.

One trick is to make a concentrated solution e.g. if you can measure out a gram dissolve it in 100 mL of water. Then 1 mL contains 10 mg of the salt. You can measure out small increments that way.

I'll have to give that a try :tank:
I just took a razor and cut .5g in half until I got down to a hypothetical .0035g for a 3oz serving. I played with half and 3/4 of the measurement as well. But in 4 blind taste tests with glasses shuffled by another person I chose the unmodified beer 100% of the time (as did the uninformed shuffler)
Very interesting. I wonder what is up with my flavors lately in my hoppy beers. They seem flat and somewhat vegetal. The beer seems to lack the crispness I am seeking. I used US05 so I don't think its the yeast either.
The stats are as follows
1.008 FG
5.7% Abv
41IBU’s (.5oz nelson dryhop)
75% 2row
20% Vienna
5% Belgian biscuit

It has only been in the cold for 2 days, but I am noticing a trend among all of my hoppy/not-german/belgian beers

First time I promise =P
I thought about diluting in water but I wasn't sure if the gypsum would be spread evenly or not.

I didn't check the solubility of gypsum. It isn't that great at 240 mg/100 cc (20 °C). Note this could work to your advantage as you don't have to weigh anything. Just put some gypsum (about a gram) in 100 cc of water and shake it up. Then let it settle. It will be 2.4 mg/cc - uniformly distributed.

OTOH if you put a gram in 100 cc and shake it up you will have 10 mg/cc in suspension and as long as you don't let it settle it will be pretty uniformly distributed. You'd have to shake each time you drew some out though.

Back