Quick Brett Brux questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piratwolf

Reaction score
So I want to venture into the world of Brett yeast. I have ~3gal of Belgian Golden Strong fermenting on Belgian Strong Ale yeast and it has slowed a bit at 1.024. I'm considering racking off the BSA yeast and fermenting the rest with Brett Bruxellensis.

1) Is that a reasonable amount of fermentables to allow the Brett to do it's thing?
2) I have a vial of WL Brett b--should I pitch the whole thing or only a portion?
3) it's clearly important to use dedicated soft bits for Brett beers. Is there anything else you recommend?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Heh Piratwolf - I did just what you descibe with a saison and the infamous 3724/Belgian strain. My OG was 1.062 and I racked into a keg when the saison stalled at 1.020, added 1 White Labs vial of Brett B. In 3 months at ~ 70F it dropped to 1.000 and is doing some wonderful things. You may find the Brett steps all over the flavor components of your primary yeast.

BrewNow said:
Heh Piratwolf - I did just what you descibe with a saison and the infamous 3724/Belgian strain. My OG was 1.062 and I racked into a keg when the saison stalled at 1.020, added 1 White Labs vial of Brett B. In 3 months at ~ 70F it dropped to 1.000 and is doing some wonderful things. You may find the Brett steps all over the flavor components of your primary yeast.

Cool, BrewNow! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear! :). Unless I hear otherwise by tomorrow am, that's what I'm doing. Thanks, man!

Can't comment on the Brux much, but if you want to avoid using Brett I'd recommend brewing a batch or a big starter of WY3711 and moving the stalled golden strong on to that. I recently had my golden strong stall out at about 1.025 and racked onto a cake of 3711 and it dried out to 1.01

Can't comment on the Brux much, but if you want to avoid using Brett I'd recommend brewing a batch or a big starter of WY3711 and moving the stalled golden strong on to that. I recently had my golden strong stall out at about 1.025 and racked onto a cake of 3711 and it dried out to 1.01

he said he WANTS to use brett.

Would you all suggest I rack off the first yeast or just pitch in the BB? I generally like to wash, so I may rack. Can I wash/re-use Brett?

I suppose you can go either way. For instance, I racked off primary in a batch like I mentioned earlier. In another, I used American Farmhouse from WL and left the beer on primary..now going on 3 months. According to the White Labs web site the Farmhouse Blend, "It consists of a traditional farmhouse yeast strain and Brettanomyces." You are probably concerned about leaving the beer on sacc yeast for an extended period of time, right? I would probably rack and wash the sacc yeast then pitch the brett into secondary if you are at all worried about autolysis.

Brief update. I dropped the Brux with the gravity about 1.024. Hydro reading today shows 1.005, which puts the ABV at just a hair under 10%. I'm getting the fruit esters, super-dry finish and warming alcohol, but there also seems to be a touch of hay and barnyard mustiness. Looking forward to see what the next six months bring!

Autolysis is not a problem here; the Brett will use the decaying sacch cells as nutrients. I would invest in some bleach if you plan on using your hard plastics for clean beers.

Autolysis is not a problem here; the Brett will use the decaying sacch cells as nutrients. I would invest in some bleach if you plan on using your hard plastics for clean beers.

Brett is not harder to kill than sacc, star san will easily kill it.

Back