Converting Extract into PM/Pro Mash vs Brew Smith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I read in another thread that all that is needed to convert an Extract recipe to a PM recipe is to use 1.75 lbs. of Grain for every lb. of Extract omitted. Sound about right?

Also, I would like to buy a Brew Software Program. Which one do you Prefer?

IMHO it's a horse apiece. I use Beersmith because it's what I tried first and it's what I am used to. There are free trials of each available for download so you can try each and use what you want.

You could also use recipator, a free web-based program.

http://hbd.org/recipator/

There are a bunch of free ones. Download Q-brew (do a search) and that is a cool free one that can store your recipes, too. Beeertools is another freebie as well as tastybrew.com . Have fun!!!!!!!

Just downladed and am now playing with the Free Pro Mash. Kind of confusing as when you click the option for AG, PM, or extract, the ingredients don't change. Looks like I will be downloading a few more free ones today to finger out which one I like best.

RLinNH said:
Just downladed and am now playing with the Free Pro Mash. Kind of confusing as when you click the option for AG, PM, or extract, the ingredients don't change. Looks like I will be downloading a few more free ones today to finger out which one I like best.
Promash isn't difficult once you are used to it.
It's well worth starting with the tutorials (available through the help menu).
Trying to use it without using the tutorials and without having used another similar program is probably going to be difficult.

-a.

Back