copper in fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiggy

Reaction score
im using a piece of 3/8 copper i soldered on one end for a dip tube on my temp control, does anyone know if its o to use copper in the fermenter?

I think copper is actually a yeast nutrient. So as long as nothing nasty is growing on it, it should be fine.

EDIT: Randy Mosher says this in reference to copper "It is suitable for anything on the hot side of the brewery, but is not serviceable for fermentation because it reacts with the common materials used in cleaning and sterilizing"

So just be careful how you clean it if you choose to use the copper.

The Brewing Network.com - : talks about copper in your brew.

Found through google search here in which a summary is posted "In a nutshell, drinking water in copper pipes, or boiling wort pre-fermentation in a copper vessel (or with a copper pipe in the boil pot). the amount of water contacting the copper is limited to the time the water is passing through the pipes or boiling in the kettle. The pH is pretty neutral (though it drops as the boil goes on). There's not a lot of contact time, so not a whole lot of copper goes into solution. What small amount does, the yeast take it all out during fermentation. (The copper is a good nutrient for yeast). Using copper in the fermenter or afterwards is during a period of lowered pH and the copper will continue to dissolve into solution as fast or faster than the yeast can consume it. Sulfates in the water will bind with the copper producing copper sulfate, a poison. I highly recommend the podcasts."

That said, it's probably ok to have a LITTLE bit of copper in your fermenter...

thanks for your replies, i think i will look into a stainless dip tube

Latest posts

Back