Kegger rator - replacement parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
Hello Group.

In my recent move to a new house.. I was moving my kegger and on the cold plate ice builds up. Generally, I take a screwdriver and a hammer and gentle tap into the ice and make cracks and break the ice up. Well this time I was not so "gentle" I guess. and my screwdriver tapped into the cooling plate. I made a small hole but enough that it is leaking air/coolant.

You can see a pic of it here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgrier/2350565424/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgrier/2349731231/

It is a haier brand.
I have googled this a couple of time and have come up empty.

I am sure I am not the only person to do something this stupid.

Thanks all.
T

Sad to say but you probably have an expensive door stop.

There is probably a place that could fix it for you but it would probably cost more to fix it than it would to buy a new fridge.

This is a perfect oportunity to upgrade. Get a bigger fridge - throw some more kegs in it.

tgrier said:
Generally, I take a screwdriver and a hammer and gentle tap

DOH!! What a bummer. I have the same kegerator. It takes patience and a bunch of paper towels to get the ice off that element. Sometimes I use a plastic ice scraper, but never a screwdriver & a hammer.

I think for the cost of replacing the element, new coolent, & labor, you could find another one on Craigslist, or even better just build one out of a chest freezer with a controller.

Sorry dude! I'd be crying..:(

Here's an idea. Pick up a Sanyo SR-4912M compact fridge from Best Buy for $210 and convert it using all the parts you have from your Haier kegerator. Loads of folks here on the forum have made them. It can hold two kegs, so now may be the time to sell the 1 faucet tower and get a dual faucet tower.

This will be the cheapest way to keep the same style of pouring beer in your house.

Here's how to do it.

[youtube]6oPUkIA64qw[/youtube]

I'm not sure how much coolant you lost, but if it was not much you could possibly repair it with JB-Weld. That stuff works wonders!

If you did loose too much coolant I think it would be possible for you to repair it with JB-weld and buy a coolant recharger (they sell them for cars) and tap into the coolant pipe somewhere and recharge it (though I'm not positive how you'd do it). Just sure would suck to loose the whole kegger.

EDIT:

On second look, I would not recommend doing this since it could be dangerous, and you would not want to mix different coolants. Also you need to make sure you would be tapping into the low side of the pressure system. With that said... I'd probably research it a whole bunch then try it, but I'm not the smartest person out there, and I have had stuff break/catch fire/blow up accidentally before...

Yeah, he poke a hole in his evaporator. My research gives this info.

You would need to repair the hole, replace the filter dryer. Purge the system of all moisture and then refill it with freon 134A. Its a lot of work and on average you can expect to spend over 3 hours doing it, and that's if you know what you are doing and have everything you need right there.

Not a job for someone who has little experience with sealed system repairs and you should be licensed to handle the freon too.

It's a door stop with a tap handle now.

Back