whoops...didn't use a strainer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twst1up

Reaction score
so before it even starts bubbling theres a bunch of sediment on the bottom. Must be the cold break and bits of pelletized hops trub. So, cause for concern? Should i rack into the 2ndary sooner?
Also brings me to another question: in this situation is it still worthwhile to harvest the yeast after primary fermentation? Or how about just reusing it...wouldn't the trub and the now pulverized hop remains impart characteristics to a new brew?
Colour me: inquisitive :)

Leave it alone and it will be fine. If you want the beer nice and clear rack it to a clearing tank after the FG has been reached.
As fo the yeast, you can harvest it and "wash" it.

Allow the beer to ferment completely then rack it to another vessle. There is no big concern with the sediment, however you don't want to leave the beer on it too long after fermentation is complete.
As for reusing the yeast, I wouldn't because the cells will be coated with hop resines and trub, this decreases viability. There is an acid wash that one can perform to clean the yeast and revitalise them, you could search for it and see if it's worth it.

I never strain and my beers turn out great. I usually primary for two weeks or more and then I usually do secondary for a week or more just because there is so much trub it makes it easier at bottling time. Besides, I like playing with the beer. If you do re-use some of the trub for your next batch, get ready for a real quick fermentation and definitely use a blow off hose. I use about a coffee cup full.

If it is dry yeast then it is really not worth it to wash and reuse. If it is liquid then it makes some sense. Good Luck your beer will be fine.

Latest posts

Back