Sanitizing 12oz bottles in dishwasher???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinson

Reaction score
Beginner Question
I used plastic bottles on my first brew. I have read most people use glass, so I want to sanitize glass bottles in the dishwasher before bottling my second brew. How do most people sanitize glass bottles in the dishwasher? Do you use common dish soap like Cascade? Or do you use the no rinse sanitizer in the dishwasher compartment? Thank you in advance for your help!!!

I clean my bottles in the sink and rinse them good then use the dishwasher just to sterilize. I run the dishwasher with nothing else, just water, and I put it on the hot cycle so nothing comes out alive.

Thats how I have done my bottles for years without ever having a problem. I rinse them out each time I open one and hit it with a brush if needed. Then whenever I bottle I run them in the dishwasher an hour or two before hand and let the heat cycle do its thing.

Goodluck, Coldknife

OH-OH......

icon_popcorn.gif

I originally soaked my bottles in a tub of water with sanitizer in it. I got tired of that, though, and the last few batches I bottled I used the dishwasher.

I run the dishwasher thru one cycle empty with no soap. Then I put the bottles in, set it for hi-temp wash and sanitize.

When drink a bottle and want to re-use it later I put it in the dishwasher and wash it with my other dishes. I sanitize the re-used bottles later at bottling time.

Robinson said:
Beginner Question
I used plastic bottles on my first brew. I have read most people use glass, so I want to sanitize glass bottles in the dishwasher before bottling my second brew. How do most people sanitize glass bottles in the dishwasher? Do you use common dish soap like Cascade? Or do you use the no rinse sanitizer in the dishwasher compartment? Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Thank you all for all the help. I will sanitze in the dishwasher. Does any one have problems with bottles moving (rolling around and hitting each other) around in the dishwasher and breaking the bottle?

Back