What's in your fermenter(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Organic UK Fuggles IPA with using wlp060 blended american liquid yeast-for the first time, about to dry hop this 2.5 gallon batch with 1 oz of the UK fuggles today then bottle next weekend.This should be interesting,hopefully good. Think Ill end up trying one for New Years.

Southern English Brown
Stone Levitation Clone
Belgian Dark Strong
Bretted Old Ale
Flander's Red
Roeselare Pale Ale
Lambic with Dregs
Lambic with Wyeast Blend
Sour Saison with Rose Hips and Hibiscus
Sour Porter

tank #1 Pre-Prohibition American Pils (thurs Diacetyl rest) then Lagering
tank #2 Cleaned sanitized waiting for House Pale Ale (Tues)

11 gallons of APA split fermentation - half on US-05 / half on Denny's Favorite 50

11 gallons of hoppy brown ale split fermentation - half on US-05 / half on London Ale III

5 gallons of foreign extra stout - just racked onto two bourbon soaked Maker's Mark barrel staves that I cut into pieces

My 2nd pm pale ale is going on it's second week of primary. What wiffs I got & the color it has atm,makes me think it's going close to brown territory. Maybe the marris otter combined with crystal 20L & rahr 2-row was pushing pale ale style a bit. We'll just have to wait & see for sure.

Have my first all grain batch in primary #1. It's an Oatmeal Stout from Northern Brewer. I plan to rack to a secondary over vodka soaked vanilla beans.

2012-12-15_18-06-23_621.jpg

As of 30 minutes ago nothing but air, yeast and trub. I just kegged my rye stout and am enjoying a glass of it(warm, cloudy, and flat) and it is truly wonderful. Can't wait to try it served properly-warm, not cloudy and slightly carbonated.

Down to 5.5 gallons of what started as Berliner Weisse but may end up more of a lambic, and 2.3 gallons of a peated Scotch Ale sitting on oak. The latter will probably get bottled next weekend.

This is the most empty my fermenters have been in months.

23l Cooper's Australian Pale Ale, reusing the yeast cake from the previous batch. A no-boil kit, I'm still a beginner.

20l of belgian pa/ipa that I unfortunately dropped a tea towel into when transferring from the boiler. No idea how it's going to turn out

20l of belgian pa/ipa that I unfortunately dropped a tea towel into when transferring from the boiler. No idea how it's going to turn out

Never admit to a mistake! That was your completely deliberate attempt at giving it some nice, rounded, sour funk with some Brett. :D

In seriousness, though, I'd wager that it will turn out perfectly well, since your yeasties will outcompete everything else.

That's what I'm hoping too, I had a nice healthy starter and it smells lovely now with a thick krausen from the WLP530.

Just bottled my smoked porter and racked the Double IPA, so my primaries are empty. They'll likely remain so until after Christmas,, at which point I'll be brewing Nut Brown Ale and Wit.

Currently hearing bubbles from the Hennepin Clone in the primary. Been in there two days and going strong. Found a great wealth of information regarding recipes here, so I want to thank everyone.

Currently sipping: Dunkelweiss

Currently planning to sip: Belgian Dubble

The Fall Semester ended last friday and I was in much need of some recuperation after finals so I brewed up a Sweet Stout on Monday and an English Pub Ale today. Both my fermenters are full and I am one relaxed guy ready for winter break.

Redbeard5289

5 gallon pale ale batch with 200g chocolate malt, 200g crystal
columbus challenger and fuggles
wyeast1968
og 1040

just bottled it
tastes bangin!

Not sure when I last posted, but things are moving along here in lager-land.

"Der Frobinator" Doppelbock in the lagering fridge at 32-34°F.

Meinbock in the (temporary) fermentation freezer, ramping down 2°C per day for lagering, should hit 1°C (34°F) Friday night, at which point it moves out to the lagering fridge where it can start the Bock party.

Dry mead chugging along, probably fermented out since it's at 0.996 SG. Still a ways to go on clearing. That's good, it gives me time to decide whether or not to oak it.

Primary sitting empty for at least a couple weeks. I'd like to brew a Maibock in the first week of January, but I have to figure out how to coordinate that with my secondary fermentors all being tied up until February with lagering or mead conditioning.

I thought lagers needed to be done in the high 40's to mid 50's? Can a lager be done in the fridge w/o a temp controller?

I just brewed up a Kolsch recipe I got from a friend yesterday but I added my own little twist to the recipe. This is only the third batch of beer I've made and I realized I should've been doing this a long time ago.

I thought lagers needed to be done in the high 40's to mid 50's? Can a lager be done in the fridge w/o a temp controller?

Like Padalac said, fermenting and lagering have different needs. Fermenting needs to be done in those temperature ranges, lagering can be done at a much wider range of temperatures (hopefully holding steady at whatever it is). When fermenting in either the freezer or the fridge, I use an external temperature controller to regulate at a more precise (and much higher) temperature than the fridge/freezer thermostat can hold. For lagering, I just set my fridge near the low end of its range and it holds at around 34°F well enough. (If I were lagering in the freezer, I'd have to use the regulator to keep it from freezing.)

I was hoping there was a yeast that worked at that low of a temp. I can't afford a fridge and controller to do such.
I've been hanging on to my little Mr Beer fermentor thinking it would fit on a fridge shelf quite well... That or I'll maybe end up doing a Belgian or something I don't need to fuss over.

Back