Band Aid or Metallic Flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcatbrewer

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer and it had a slight either metallic or band aid flavored taste and it for sure didn't the same freshness that you would expect with a commercial brew.

I haven't tasted my second brew as it is still aging and will be until late November, however, my third batch an Old ale I put into the keg after 3 weeks of fermentation. It has been in there for two days and I decided to take my first sip, sure enough it has a band aid flavor, it lingers in my mouth.

I feel like I was much more precise when I was making that brew as well as the brew I made last night but I'm worried there is something I'm overlooking. The last thing I want to do is continue to have the true flavor of my beer stolen from this.

SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!!! If anyone happens to be in the Austin area that would be willing to try my brew and help me out I would very much appreciate it.

What sanitizer do you use and how?

I have used bleach and cleanitizer and idophor. Not all at the same time but I have used bleach in all of the batches except for the one last night.

The batch I made last night I used Star San for the first time, that is the only thing that I used.

You gotta be a nut with sanitizing. I mean a complete wacko. Soak everything, throw away anything that looks suspect. Buy some glass car boys, and make sure that all your plastic is food grade. Be very careful after the boil that is when your beer is the most vulnerable. And quit losing your bandaids in the beer....

Hey look what I found in John Palmers book.
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors.

I have read that a lot of people use bleach to clean their fermenters. What is common practice when you are cleaning your primary after you transfer to the secondary/keg. Bleach is the only thing that seems to get the old flavors and smells out.

I use a commercial sanitizer that friends in the restaurant industry give me. Its a no rinse and as long as it touches the item for 15 seconds your good. Bleach has to have contact for 10 mins or so and then you have to rinse it with boiled water.

Oxiclean with a good long soak for primaries to get rid of solid, organic matter. Rinse really well with hot water and then Starsan to sanitize.:rockin:

There's a possibility of that being the case. Or, it could be chlorine/chloramine in your tapwater, if you are using tapwater for brewing.

In order to get a real idea of where your problem is coming from it might be a good idea to describe your brewing process fully and in as much detail as possible. One of the more knowledgeable members will be able to help with advice.

But, first off, what type of water are you using?? Tap, bottled, Reverse Osmosis (RO)?

Thanks for everyone's input first off!

I typically use springs water that I buy from the store.

As for my brewing process what specific parts are you talking about? I feel like if I describe the whole thing I will have a few pages on here.

Thanks for everyone's input first off!

I typically use springs water that I buy from the store.

OK then, that should rule out the water. So, next thing I'd suggest is that for your next batch you make sure that there's absolutely no hint of bleach on/in your primary fermenter, and any other equipment you use. Get hold of some oxyclean "free" and soak everything you'll use in that overnight. Then rinse everything really well with hot water, a few times to make sure you get any traces of oxyclean off surfaces that will contact your wort after cooling. Then sanitize with the starsan you have. BTW, the buckets I use for primary all have a little bit of a funky (brewing type) smell, even after lengthy oxyclean soaks, and I don't think it has adversely affected the flavour of my brews, so far.

As for my brewing process what specific parts are you talking about? I feel like if I describe the whole thing I will have a few pages on here.

Your sanitizing routine in detail might lead to some insights. Brewing utensils and kegging equipment.
Fermenting temperatures, especially from pitching through first 4 or 5 days of vigorous fermentation.:mug:

Also what kind kettle, i might not have brew experience yet, but lots chemistry time under belt, plus durring research found video that said should be done in brewing aswell.
If your kettle is alluminum, did you oxidize inside before use?
Easy to oxidize alluminum fill up with water, leave room for boiling, bring to boil, let boil for 20 minutes or so then dump should give you a thin layer of oxidation, area where
Water was should be different colour from rest pot.
A oxidation layer acts as buffer between brew and pot, prevents aluminum for absorbing into mixture.

I'm not sure whether to agree or disagree with you jason. for sure boil out your aluminum kettle the first time. After that, no need to do it anymore, It's good to go.

Seems to me more likely that it's a fermentation issue than anything else. Few home brewers control fermentation temps or make starters when they first start the hobby, and stressed yeast or overly warm temps can throw band-aid phenols.

Piratwolf said:
Seems to me more likely that it's a fermentation issue than anything else. Few home brewers control fermentation temps or make starters when they first start the hobby, and stressed yeast or overly warm temps can throw band-aid phenols.

+1

My off-flavor problem basically disappeared by fermenting at low-mid range for the given yeast.

OK then, that should rule out the water. So, next thing I'd suggest is that for your next batch you make sure that there's absolutely no hint of bleach on/in your primary fermenter, and any other equipment you use. Get hold of some oxyclean "free" and soak everything you'll use in that overnight. Then rinse everything really well with hot water, a few times to make sure you get any traces of oxyclean off surfaces that will contact your wort after cooling. Then sanitize with the starsan you have. BTW, the buckets I use for primary all have a little bit of a funky (brewing type) smell, even after lengthy oxyclean soaks, and I don't think it has adversely affected the flavour of my brews, so far.

Your sanitizing routine in detail might lead to some insights. Brewing utensils and kegging equipment.
Fermenting temperatures, especially from pitching through first 4 or 5 days of vigorous fermentation.:mug:

I will be sure to get some oxyclean going forward. As for my process here it goes....

1. For my first batch I used bleach to sanitize everything then went back over with Idophor (wanted to make sure it was santized) this included all the parts that I used.
  2. After transferring I rinse out the primary with tap water and then I used bleach solution to get the funk out.
  3. On brew day I will clean and sanitize all of my tools about 1 hour prior to brewing up until this last batch I have used bleach to sanitize.
  4. I have also used various other sanitizers and since I have switched to Star San only (I take it that a combo of Oxyclean and star san should do the trick right?
  5. I leave the tools out to dry after they soak for anywhere from 2-5 minutes each.
  6. After that I start brewing.
  7. The batch I'm complaining about now I used a starter and kept it fermenting in a chest freezer that stays at 70 degrees
  8. My batch I brewed on monday I used a starter and it is sitting on top of the freezer and the temp ranges anywhere from 70-75

I hope this helps you help me get to the bottom of this, I really hate that I feel like all my beer batches are wasted. I JUST WANT TO MAKE GOOD BEER!!! :mug:

• 24 qt stainless pot
  • Wort Chiller
  • Hydrometer
  • Stainless Spoon
  • Plastic Primary
  • Airlock and Stopper

Hot fermentation and/or chlorine. It's going to be one of those two things or a combination of both.

I've made band-aide beer before. It's disappointing to say the least. It is 100% correctable, though.

Good luck.

I cracked open my newest brew for the first time last night and had the same experience. Problem is that I had this happen to my last batch, so I was more careful with cleaning this time.

After looking at http://morebeer.com/content/homebrew-off-flavors, I think it might be cholorphenol. I noticed the smell when I bottled from my secondary, and the only thing I can think of is that I did not dilute my Iodaphor solution enough. It was still a little orange/yellow and it turned my hose the same color with I cleaned with it. Has anyone had this issue with iodine or Iodaphor before? Is there any way to confirm this?

Back