Need Help - Accidentally carbonated the wrong beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psymn

Reaction score
Here's the story:

I went to transfer a amber ale into a keg the other day. I grabbed the only unlabeled carboy in my lagering chest and siphoned it into a keg (never mind why I had an ale in the lagering chest, it's a long story) I placed the keg on a 14 psi line for a few days and drew a beer about a week later to test the carbonation.

Imagine my surprise when I relaized that this wasn't an ale at all, it was an oktoberfest that was mislabeled (apparently I labeled the amber ale as oktoberfest). This beer had only been in the lager chest for about 10 days when it was carbonated.

What are my options? Should I uncarbonate the beer and lager it in the keg? Do I need to pitch more yeast? Can I lager the beer once it is carbonated?

Thanks,
Matt

You can certainly lager in the keg. Whether or not you go through all the rigamarole of getting the co2 out is up to you. I would just toss the keg in the lager chest, co2 and all, but those more knowledgeable than me might have different advice.

Just vent it a few times. the pressure and Co2 shouldn't hurt ya a bit. Lagering in the keg is no problem at all. I do it when ever I fill all my carboy's up.

I don't disagree with any of the above advice, but I must give you kudos....

This is a pretty original problem. Haven't read this one before!!!!! :D :mug:

Thanks for the advice

I agree with Damn Squirrels, this is a very unique screw-up. I had labels on every carboy except one, but I accidentally mislabeled the other carboy. This can all be traced back to having too much beer available at time of labeling:drunk:

I will park the keg in the lagering chest and hope for the best.

-Matt

Damn Squirrels said:
I don't disagree with any of the above advice, but I must give you kudos....

This is a pretty original problem. Haven't read this one before!!!!! :D :mug:
Your Right DS:

"Need Help - Accidentally carbonated the wrong beer "

How could NOT stop in and read this post?

The gas shouldn't affect the conditioning. Park it and resume where you left off.

And GET SOME NEW LABELS!!!

If its true that you can lager when its carbonated and under presure then why can't you lager in the bottle? I mean other than the fact that the amount of yeast that its in contact with is quiet less. This would make it a lot easier to lager if you didn't have a special fridge.

Latest posts

Back