Wyeast 2007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doog_Si_Reeb

Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet, I'm second to start a thread in the new section!

I am planning to brew a Classic American Pilsner in the near future and I picked up some Wyeast 2007. I'm curious how many people have used it and liked it. Also, any tips for this strain? Good temperatures, bad temperatures, time for primary fermentation, diacetyl levels, etc. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

I can't make lagers so I've never used it, but from a little research, you want to reduce any detectable diacetyl, so definitely go for a diacetyl rest. Since it's a pretty standard strain, it should handle most anything you throw at it, just follow the guidelines of brewing a standard lager.

I used this yeast for 6g of my Oktoberfest for this year. It is still lagering but is going to be incredible. Seriously, I just called a homebrew incredible (something I just don't do). I chilled my wort to 46º and pitched a 1 gallon starter (I made the starter wort about the same as the beer just with an extract recipe). Fermentation took off in about 8 hours and I controlled the temps to 50º for primary fermentation which took about 12 days to reach 2/3-3/4 attenuation. I tasted for diacetyl and detected none. However, I was fermenting some other lagers along side it that needed a D-rest, so I raised the temp to 67º for three days. The gravity had dropped to around 1.014 (my desired F.G.) so I lowered the temp 1º a day until I was lagering at 34º. It will sit at lager temps for about 8 weeks.

So far I am very happy with this yeast.

Thanks for the info Boerderij. I'm planning to do a diacetyl rest just to be on the safe side. That's also reassuring that it only took you 12 days to reach 2/3-1/4 attenuation. I'm going to be using my kegerator for the fermentation cabinet so I will be warming my serving temperature about ten degrees during primary fermentation. I want to minimize the amount of time I have my fridge at ~50.

Back