Amount of Priming Sugar????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shot0rum247

Reaction score
So if I only plan on bottling about 12 or so and putting the rest of a batch of brew in a keg, about how much priming sugar should I put in each individual bottle to ensure correct conditioning? Thanks!

I threw this excel calculator together to calculate per bottle carbing.... No thinking involved...just enter carbing sugar in weight for a full batch then bottle size and everything is laid out for you... The sheet is protected, so changes are not made, but there is no password so feel free to improve on it, or if you find errors let me know, I'll change them. Hope it helps.

http://www.mediafire.com/?j5ytojhhj1l

EDIT: after a while the link stops working, so PM me if you want me to send it to you.

Ok let me get this straight lol.

By your chart jay415 this is what I get

For a 5 gallon batch using 5 onces of priming for each 12 once bottle I would add 0.094 ounces of priming sugar. I just want to be sure that I am reading this correct. I mostly keg now. However I do want to start bottling 6 or so bottles to have in the future after the keg is empty or to bring to friends houses.

I like this idea over the carb tablets. I have read that the tablets leave white particles floating. No big deal but if I can avoid them why not?

Ok let me get this straight lol.

By your chart jay415 this is what I get

For a 5 gallon batch using 5 onces of priming for each 12 once bottle I would add 0.094 ounces of priming sugar. I just want to be sure that I am reading this correct.
yea pretty much but of course this would be very hard to measure such a small amount in ounces, so that is why there is a conversion for grams. So 0.094 ounces = 2.658 grams. In such small amounts grams are more accurate. You don't need to be exact, I put the bottle on the scale and zero it out, then I add priming sugar to 2 grams and then add a little more (about 1/2 gram) so the scale won't jump to 3 grams. I only use it for experimenting.
I mostly keg now. However I do want to start bottling 6 or so bottles to have in the future after the keg is empty or to bring to friends houses.
Why not just use BMBF for a six pack or 2 after kegging?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24678

thanks for the feed back!!

Code:
Why not just use BMBF for a six pack or 2 after kegging?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24678

Well these six packs or so could sit for a month,two or even longer.

Maybe the carb tablets are the way to go?

I like this idea over the carb tablets. I have read that the tablets leave white particles floating. No big deal but if I can avoid them why not?
I have used both the Coopers carbonation drops and the Muntons carb tablets many times, and I have never had any white floaties in my beer. Personally, I think these drops are the cat's ass, particularly the small Munton's carb tabs which easily let you dial in the carbonation level you want based on the number of tablets you add to each bottle. The only trick with them is that you need to gently swirl up the sugar from the bottom of the bottom a few days after bottling, otherwise it just sits there and takes a long time for the beer to carb up.

I am going to try it both ways. Some with tablets and some using the BMBF way.

Thanks for the tips :mug:

Back