American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this brew this weekend, but my LHBS didn't have either hop. I had to substitute with cascade and zythos. I'm not sure about the zythos, but I hope this turns out well.

Love this beer! Wish I knew how to rotate the pic though...

ForumRunner_20120908_134756.jpg

In spite of mashing too high, it turned out pretty good. I'll be trying this recipe again.

image-2245765716.jpg

Just cracked open the first bottle...this beer is amazing, by far the best beer I have ever brewed.

Used Marris Otter and a slight alteration to the hop schedule, but tastes like heaven. Wish I made 20 gallons of this.

I read through many pages of this thread and might have missed it, but is it ok to toast the malt after it has already been milled?

If you are careful you can toast milled grain in the oven.

In my milled grain experiences, I like to dry pan toast on the stove over med low heat until fragrant (like spices).

Something about ovens makes me tend to forget things are in there. Milled grain burn a LOT faster compared to whole. My half-cent :)

Ingredients are on the way. Already have a lb of Simcoe and Amarillo in the freezer and I was looking for a nice session beer to squeeze in between all the big beers I've been brewing lately, this one fits the bill. Based on all the rave reviews the recipe has gotten, I can't wait to try it.

One quick question, I know this has been discussed to some extent. I adjusted the AA based on the hops I have. Using the hop schedule in the original recipe Beersmith is giving me 63.3 IBU! Should I adjust my 60 min addition to get closer to the OP recipe IBU, or leave it be?

Brewed this one up yesterday. I ended up reducing the 60 minute addition to .5 oz to bring the IBU's down a little. The IBU's are still off the charts for the style according to Beersmith but I'm ok with that. For some reason my equipment really fought me yesterday, digital thermometer was reading 5-6 degrees high so I had to use my glass brewing thermometer the whole time. Then I over-sparged and ended up with 7.25 gallons in the brew kettle so I had to boil 90 minutes to get to the correct volume. Then I only ended up with 5 gallons in the fermenter so I had to top up with water.....:drunk: Just one of those days I guess. I think it will turn out great though, can't wait to try it. I pitched my starter of WLP001 at about 5pm yesterday. Checked it at 5:30 this morning before leaving for work and its chugging away.

Brewed this one up yesterday. I ended up reducing the 60 minute addition to .5 oz to bring the IBU's down a little. The IBU's are still off the charts for the style according to Beersmith but I'm ok with that.

I brought the IBU's down to 50.4 by cutting the hop amounts so that I ended up with 2 oz of each hop. OP's recipe calls for 5.5 oz and lists IBU at 44, but beersmith gave me around 60 (I think) so I dropped it down. I also did that because I don't like having 1/2 oz's lying around in the freezer. :)

Anyhow, the beer does not seem bitter at all at 50 IBU. I am very happy at how it came out so there is another batch fermenting in the next room. :rockin:

I forget exactly what Beersmith kicked out, I don't have it in front of me but I think it was around 55ish. Fermentation is finally slowing down. I had to switch to a blow off a few days ago. Luckily I checked it in the morning before going to work and discovered the airlock full of krausen and the fermenter building pressure!

chalmer9 said:
Mine has been kegged for 5 days, and this post echoes my sentiments almost exactly. It's DELICIOUS though, can't wait for another week...hopefully it clears up a little.

Mine cleared up wonderfully after about 10 days in the keezer.

Kegged this beer yesterday and dry hopped. Gonna give it one more week at room temp to let the dry hops work their magic. FG was a little high finishing at 1.018, probably mashed too high (I've been having thermometer issues). Holy crap this beer tastes great though! I've been looking for a simple pale ale to keep on tap and this one might be it.

Just wanted to follow up. This recipe is solid! I've been drinking it for about a week now and it keeps getting better and better. It's a great session beer with tons of hop flavor. I'll be brewing this one again real soon.

Brewed this 6 weeks ago. Only had 3/4 oz. of Amarillo and the LHBS was out so I subbed Chinook at 60 and Cascade at 5 min. This was the best IPA I have ever brewed and would handily beat 85 to 90% of the commercial microbrew IPA's I have had. ( and I have had a few)

Thanks a million for a recipe I will surely put in my rotation!

Just brewed up 10 gals of this. I used whole hops, treated ro water, and I roasted 4 lbs of two row per dude's method. I used washed pac-man for 5 gals and a fresh vile of wlp001 for the other five gals with 1 liter starters for each. Each one is chugging away at 64 degrees and the smell is amazing. Looking forward to this one as it should have a nice hop taste and aroma that I have been looking for. I will post the final results once everything is fermented, dry-hopped, kegged and carbed.

Drinking this now and planning a 10G batch on Sunday. My only beef with this recipe is it, like 4 of my other favorite beers that I brew, uses expensive, impossible to find Amarillo hops! I love that hop and from what I have read there is a real shortage due to flooding of the hop fields this year. I am thinking that later this year when I run out of Amarillo and can't get it anywhere that I may have to substitute Cascade or Ahtanum (also hard to find). Anyone tried this recipe with either of those two hops? Other suggestions?

I made this today (for probably the 10th time). Usually goes off without a hitch, today my gas ran low and i didn't boil off what i needed to. I ended up at a final gravity of 1.044. Im worried that if I add all the hops in the dry hop it will now be balanced and be too bitter.

Should I add no dry hop, half the dry hop, or just do it all?

I made this today (for probably the 10th time). Usually goes off without a hitch, today my gas ran low and i didn't boil off what i needed to. I ended up at a final gravity of 1.044. Im worried that if I add all the hops in the dry hop it will now be balanced and be too bitter.

Should I add no dry hop, half the dry hop, or just do it all?

Dry hopping does not add bitterness, so I would do the full amount.

I decides to give this a try as my first AG, ended up with a 120 min boil due to my 8 gallon pot. OG of 1066 but it smelled awesome and tasted great. After 10 days in fermenter I went to rack and found this nasty thing floating on top...

image-843159867.jpg

Yeast is US-05 and gravity reading I took registered 1015. Smell is not please not but taste was ok.

Thoughts?

Here is my slight grain and hop alteration

BSF 120 IPA batch #1

Style: American IPA OG: 1.066
Type: All Grain FG: 1.015
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 6.68 %
Calories: 215 IBU's: 68.06
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 8.00 Gal
Color: 11.8 SRM Batch Size: 4.75 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.038 Boil Time: 120 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 10 days @ 70.0°F
Secondary 10 days @ 70.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
8.00 lbs 66.67 % Briess 2-Row Pale Ale Malt 60 mins 1.037
2.00 lbs 16.67 % Rahr Pale Ale 60 mins 1.037
1.00 lbs 8.33 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 60 mins 1.034
1.00 lbs 8.33 % Wheat, Flaked 60 mins 1.035

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.75 ozs 25.74 Amarillo Gold 60 mins 8.50
0.12 ozs 3.78 Amarillo Gold 45 mins 8.50
0.12 ozs 5.78 Simcoe 45 mins 13.00
0.75 ozs 23.84 Simcoe 20 mins 13.00
0.12 ozs 2.04 Amarillo Gold 15 mins 8.50
0.12 ozs 3.13 Simcoe 15 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs 1.48 Amarillo Gold 1 mins 8.50
1.00 ozs 2.26 Simcoe 1 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs Citra 7 days 13.20
1.00 ozs Amarillo Gold 7 days 8.50
1.00 ozs Simcoe 7 days 13.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 tbsp Irish Moss 15 mins Boil

Mash Profile
Medium Body Infusion In 60 min @ 154.0°F
Add 15.00 qt ( 1.25 qt/lb ) water @ 166.0°F
Medium Body Infusion Out 10 min @ 168.0°F
Add 20.00 qt water @ 175.0°F

Carbonation
(none)

Notes

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 2.833

Sent from my iPhone

I decides to give this a try as my first AG, ended up with a 120 min boil due to my 8 gallon pot. OG of 1066 but it smelled awesome and tasted great. After 10 days in fermenter I went to rack and found this nasty thing floating on top...

View attachment 97718

Yeast is US-05 and gravity reading I took registered 1015. Smell is not please not but taste was ok.

Thoughts?

That looks fine to me. Sometimes stuff just wants to stay on top instead of sinking to the bottom.

So I ran out of amarillo on the dry hop... i got 1 oz simcoe in there and .3 oz amarillo.

What would be a good addition to add? Cascade? Centennial?

looking to do extract version...is it recommended to keep all the grains the same and just replace the 8lbs of 2-row with the appropriate amount of extract?

recipe from page #1 below ->

Ingredients:
8.0 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
2.0 lbs Toasted Pale Malt
0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 60°L
0.5 lbs Wheat Flakes
.75 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
.75 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea Fermentis US-56 Safale US-56
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

looking to do extract version...is it recommended to keep all the grains the same and just replace the 8lbs of 2-row with the appropriate amount of extract?

recipe from page #1 below ->

Ingredients:
8.0 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
2.0 lbs Toasted Pale Malt
0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 60°L
0.5 lbs Wheat Flakes

Imo - You'd want to sub out all 10 LBS pale malt with extract. You could do a pound or two of English pale to sub for toasted malt. You may want to use malted wheat instead of flaked in your specialty steep to allow for conversion.

Imo - You'd want to sub out all 10 LBS pale malt with extract. You could do a pound or two of English pale to sub for toasted malt. You may want to use malted wheat instead of flaked in your specialty steep to allow for conversion.

Victory would probably be a better substitute for toasted malt than English Pale

I'll disagree with that -- 2# of Victory, in my opinion, would be too powerful & cloying. If you are going to use Victory added to your specialty steeping grains to mimic the effect of toasted malt, I would stick to 8 Oz or less of Victory.

My take on this - and this is just one man's opinion - Is that I would sub out 9# of Malt (meaning, both the 2-Row and Toasted 2-Row from the AG version) for liquid extract. I would then do the following for the specialty steeping grains:
0.5# 2-Row to help conversion
0.5# Victory or other Toasted substitute
0.5# Crystal 60L
0.5# Wheat Flakes

Which, if you go to that extent, you might as well take the Victory back out and replace it with 0.5# Toasted 2-Row Pale since you already are using 1/2# of it and would, most likely, buy a full lb. of 2-Row anyways.

I can go 'round and 'round on this one. :)
For example, 0.75# 2-Row, 0.5# Caramel 60L, 0.5# Flaked Wheat, and 0.25# Biscuit Malt (I find Biscuit to be more powerful than the Victory malt, even. That may just be my taste buds' fault).
Or, 1.0# Maris Otter, 0.5# Caramel 60L, and 0.5# Flaked Wheat.
Or, 0.5# Vienna, 0.25# Caramel 10L, 0.5# Caramel 60L, 0.5# Flaked Wheat and 0.25# Biscuit Malt.
Or, heck, 1.0# Vienna, 0.5# Caramel 60L, 0.5# Flaked Wheat.

I'll disagree with that -- 2# of Victory, in my opinion, would be too powerful & cloying. If you are going to use Victory added to your specialty steeping grains to mimic the effect of toasted malt, I would stick to 8 Oz or less of Victory.

My take on this - and this is just one man's opinion - Is that I would sub out 9# of Malt (meaning, both the 2-Row and Toasted 2-Row from the AG version) for liquid extract. I would then do the following for the specialty steeping grains:
0.5# 2-Row to help conversion
0.5# Victory or other Toasted substitute
0.5# Crystal 60L
0.5# Wheat Flakes

Which, if you go to that extent, you might as well take the Victory back out and replace it with 0.5# Toasted 2-Row Pale since you already are using 1/2# of it and would, most likely, buy a full lb. of 2-Row anyways.

I can go 'round and 'round on this one. :)
For example, 0.75# 2-Row, 0.5# Caramel 60L, 0.5# Flaked Wheat, and 0.25# Biscuit Malt (I find Biscuit to be more powerful than the Victory malt, even. That may just be my taste buds' fault).
Or, 1.0# Maris Otter, 0.5# Caramel 60L, and 0.5# Flaked Wheat.
Or, 0.5# Vienna, 0.25# Caramel 10L, 0.5# Caramel 60L, 0.5# Flaked Wheat and 0.25# Biscuit Malt.
Or, heck, 1.0# Vienna, 0.5# Caramel 60L, 0.5# Flaked Wheat.

I'm sure your suggestions would work just fine, I was making my suggestion based on my personal use of 1# Victory instead of toasted 2-row which turned out really good. The Victory did not come through very strong at all for me. YMMV

Aha - The way you worded it, gave me the impression you substituted 2# Victory for 2# Toasted 2-Row per the original recipe. Not just 1#.

I will agree that 1# (while at the top end of how much Victory I would use in a given 5 gallon batch) is still within reason. Just probably not 2#.

Groan! So this was my third batch since I bigafied my system to do 10G batches. I ran it through beersmith just in case, but it did what would be expected and doubled the amounts of everything in the 5G batches listed on page one and of which I have made and enjoyed several batches of LW APA. The first keg of the 10G is, well, underwhelming. Not a lot of taste and little hop aroma, and that with 8-9 oz of hops!! It is still a little flat as it is carbing up, but man I gotta figure out what went wrong here. My other 10G batches (different beers) were as good if not better than my 5G batches as I am recirculating the mash now and getting great efficiency and better beers...Any clues from others who have gone from 5G to 10G batches?

Certainly not the advice you hoped I would give, but - Give it time. At least personally, I find that my beers when they are undercarb'ed are severely lacking in hop pronouncement - and once they hit the correct carbonation level, then the flavor really opens up.

But - something else could be in play as well. I could be missing something.

Certainly not the advice you hoped I would give, but - Give it time. At least personally, I find that my beers when they are undercarb'ed are severely lacking in hop pronouncement - and once they hit the correct carbonation level, then the flavor really opens up.

But - something else could be in play as well. I could be missing something.

Seems to be a couple of things at play. Tonight it is carb'd a lot more (still has a day or two to go...) and it is just not the same as the others I have brewed. It seems to be missing on the malt and hop characteristics. I am wondering if I needed to toast another half pound or pound of 2 row as the malt is a little bland (like pure two row almost). The hops mystify me. Not much hop aroma/taste AT ALL...could be carbonation, though this beer has always had a great nose even in the carboy...just isn't there this time. I used fresh hops that were sealed, in the freezer, and smelled wonderful in the boil and dry hop. Gotta review my brew day notes and scratch the noggin' some more. Guess I could throw in another ounce or two of hops in the keg and see what happens...color me confused!

Just reviewed my brew notes and it looks like I may have had a water measurement issue as I had a gallon of extra wort. Even so, I hit both the OG & FG dead on the nose...

Bitterness and color are spot on. Beginning to suspect my refractometer as I have had to calibrate it every time I have used it lately with H2O before each reading (or at least once per brew day I should say). Funny thing is I used it for an Arrogant Bastard clone the next week and it was DEAD ON in taste, hop aroma, et al. :(

Mmmm, drinking a pour of this right now. Never gets old. This is the 7th time I've made this beer and have hardly strayed from the original recipe. So good.

I think I'm going to make this one and add 1oz citra dry hop on top of everything else. Can't wait!

kennyg said:
I think I'm going to make this one and add 1oz citra dry hop on top of everything else. Can't wait!

I added Citra to the dry hop, really gives it a grapefruit aroma.

Brewed this last night for the second time ever. Brewed it last August and was probably my favorite homebrew I've ever made. I hit 1.06 OG so I added one bottled water to the carbay and pitched a packet of rehydrated US-05. Still waiting for it to really take it, should be off by tomorrow morning.

It didn't take off until Sunday, but it's rocking hard right now. Can't wait for a month to go by until this is ready to drink from the keg.

Latest posts

Back