Charlottesville VA Beer reccomendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpertskir

Reaction score
SWMBO and I are heading down to Charlottesville this weekend and I'm looking for some good breweries/bars to drink delicious beer. We are already definitely hitting up http://www.bluemountainbrewery.com/

Their beer gets good ratings, and they have their own hop farm so clearly they care, and maybe they'll sell me some hops on the cheap.

Where else do we need to go? What other beers are a must to seek out?

Thanks

Drive to richmond, go to capitol ale!! Amazing beer list and get the pretzel to go with your beer!! You wont be disappointed

Devil's Backbone is not far outside of C-ville and has won GABF awards for their beers. Plus, I hear they have a great view of the Shenandoah Valley.

Devil's backbone is a must I love their belgo Congo pale ale (I think is the name).
The blue mtn brewery does a great pale lager (full of flavor and crisp as can be).

Starr hill is good as well I enjoy their winter Bock called the gift as well as their summer wheat called the love or something. Also I believe Starr hill does a summer concert series.

One last thing, beer run is a restaurant in town with a pretty good bottle shop (although if you order a bottle with dinner they charge a capping fee) some interesting rotating tap handles (no fee on these) and an awesome bison burger. I hope you enjoy your trip and I should mention there is some pretty good wine in the area.

Okay so i lied, i have more to say... hit up the cidery.

Yeah, so I like c-ville...enjoy your trip!

Hitting up the capital ale house is a good idea if you have time to go to Richmond but not really required with how good stuff is in Charlottesville.

Thanks....I saw beer run and thought the beer selection looked primo. Plus this song is awesome

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the above are great. I would also recommend South Street Brewery (Brewpub). I really enjoyed their beer.

If I were you I would eat at South Street and then go check out beer run's bottle shop....

DEVILS BACKBONE is NOT to be missed. Seriously, if you had to pick one, that's the one to go to. Blue Mountain has good beer for sure, DB has GREAT beer. My .02

Agree with Duckmanco. DB is the best of the 3 local breweries (DB, Blue Mountain, Wild Wolf). Their Wintergreen Weiss is outstanding. Wild Wolf has a small homebrew shop on site. Decent selection of supplies. All serve food beyond just pub-fare. DB has great deep fried pickles. Check 'em all out and enjoy your time in Nelson County.
Susie

Thanks for all the recommendations. We are coming from the northwest so DB is going to add 75 min or so to the trip, is their beer good enough to warrant the detour? Swmbo loves beer so she won't be hard to convince.

I still say yes, mainly because blue mountain (and wild wolf I believe) is also so close you'll get two breweries to try for your 75 minute investment.

Jason at DB knows how to make outstanding beer, and you won't be disappointed. Danzig, their Baltic porter, if it's on tap is a must and a past GABF winner. I believe they won several awards at GABF, and if I'm not mistaken, won small brewpub or a similiar category. Look them up and see what you think.

I think Jason won Brewer of the Year a couple years ago at GABF. Don't consider this out of your way but a brewing adventure.
Susie

Devils backbone is a must. They have multiple locations. One is a brewpub (which I think has a 7 barrel system) and another is a 30 barrel brewhouse called the outpost (I think). I know theboutpost has a tasting section. I've never been to the brewpub, only to the outpost.

The lady that served us at the outpost said that there are other tasting locations besides the brewpub and outpost.

Maybe give them a call or look at their website. Only reason why I mention this is because it could be possible one if their alternate locations is closer to your route.

Wanted to thank you guys for the recommendations, the trip was awesome and we drank some good beer. Here are the beer relevant destinations we hit(I wont talk about food in this thread, but we ate quite well):

Blue Mountain, Full nelson was a seriously good subtle pale ale and at 7 dollars a growler fill probably the cheapest craft I have ever seen...I was slightly disappointed that full nelson was a county reference not hop reference
Beer Run, Best place by far, Very serious beer selection--bar tender was a homebrewer and the couple next to us helped us with some other quality recommendations. In addition to their tap list, I picked up 2 sculpin bombers, a Hopsickle bomber, and a six pack of founders porter...much restraint was needed to limit to that short list
Devils Backbone, doing more interesting beers than most of the breweries in the area(smoked sour among others) but not quite there on most of the beers I tried IMO
Wild Wolf, least touristy and my fav brewery of the lot, their black ipa and RIS were quite good
Millers, college beer hang out, great night life, respectable tap and bottle list, but pails to beer run
Horse and Hound, 6-10 taps of blockbuster beers and a couple dozen good bottle selections, mostly large format.

All in all I was very impressed with the food and beer scene in Charlottesville. I live in a similar sized town with comparable demographics, and the food and beer here is terrible, it makes me very sad it cant be similar in food and beer.

Glad you enjoyed your stay. I'll have to check out Beer Run. It always takes an out-of-towner to get a local to check out her own backyard. :mug:
Susie

I realize this is a fairly old thread but check out Beer Hound Brewery on 29n just before the Sheetz in Ruckersville. Had an awesome oatmeal stout and possibly my new favorite Imperial IPA. It is a small place that has homebrew supplies and lots of grains in stock.....:ban:

I realize this is a fairly old thread but check out Beer Hound Brewery on 29n just before the Sheetz in Ruckersville. Had an awesome oatmeal stout and possibly my new favorite Imperial IPA. It is a small place that has homebrew supplies and lots of grains in stock.....:ban:

Road trip! Thanks!
Susie

UncleJohnnys said:

Dangit why didn't they have that there when I was growing up in Madison?!
Glad to hear that is in the area. Pretty neat. I do miss good ole Mad Co.

Sorry I ever posted this, the owner is a ****** that acts like customers owe him something and the place is a filthy mess.

Have any of you all been to Champions yet? It's in downtown C'ville, opened right around Christmas 2012. I hear good, clean beer and they recently did a collaboration brew with a brewer from Colorado. It's actually owned by a former student of mine, but I havent' managed to get up there yet. Looking forward to it!

Back