Butter!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
you know what pisses me off??? I live in freaking WISCONSIN, and the only unsalted butter I can find in my dairy case is from Minnesota!

there are a ton of local butters but they all are salted. why is this? I've always baked with unsalted - not exactly sure why but it's what I do.

you know what pisses me off??? I live in freaking WISCONSIN, and the only unsalted butter I can find in my dairy case is from Minnesota!

there are a ton of local butters but they all are salted. why is this? I've always baked with unsalted - not exactly sure why but it's what I do.

Only chicks bake bro.

motobrewer said:
awesome contribution from the useless frat boy contingent.

don't you have a keg stand to do?

You're right to bake with unsalted butter. Most recipes already call for some salt. Using salted butter would throw that off.

Min-nes-sota hats of to thee, to our colors true we shall ever be!

(just kidding moto.)

Salted butter is like hopped extract, both decrease the control you have over your final product, boo.

When something makes no sense, I would start by looking into the law. Wisconsin has a history of odd laws concerning butter and butter substitutes. My mother grew up there and remembers buying white margarine with coloring packets, because it was illegal to sell yellow margarine. I wouldn't be even slightly surprised if butter manufacturers are forced to salt all butter, but it's legal for stores to sell unsalted butter from other states.

I always use unsalted butter and season every ingredient as I cook it/add it. That way, you can season without adding fat and you have more flexible options to use kosher or sea salt as opposed to iodized table salt. OP, you can visit a local dairy farm and see if they can sell it to you directly.

I use alot of unsalted butter in the house especially for brown butter mizithra. the kiddies ask for it once a month.. vermicelli noodles works the best for them :mug:

Back