Quick AG Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SW Brewer

Reaction score
I just started the boil on my Ed Wort Stone IPA clone, and I took a hydro sample from the boil kettle prior to starting the boil. I ended up mashing and sparging to get 7 gallons of wort to boil down to 5 or so. Beersmith estimated my preboil gravity at 1.059 and my reading is 1.042. Should I plan on supplementing with some light DME?

Alright, so I think I might be fine, though I may need to boil for 90 minutes rather than 60. I have 7 gallons of wort, and beersmith tells me at about 12% evap loss, after 90 minutes I will have 5.5 gallons or wort, which results in a 1.060 gravity. That should be just about right.

5.5 gallons is good because after siphoning you will end up with a good 5 gallons of brew. That's what I make for every batch.

SW Brewer said:
Alright, so I think I might be fine, though I may need to boil for 90 minutes rather than 60. I have 7 gallons of wort, and beersmith tells me at about 12% evap loss, after 90 minutes I will have 5.5 gallons or wort, which results in a 1.060 gravity. That should be just about right.

So, are you going to boil down to 1.060 and then start your hop additions? 1.059 is where you want to start the boil, not finish it right?

Well, I added my warrior bittering hops before I checked the SG, so I am going to have to adjust the remainder of the hop additions.

OK, so I ended up JUST under 5 gallons, and with a SG of 1.057, so I am a bit short on wort, but only a bit short on SG. I was supposed to be at 1.059 or so. Oh well, even though I forgot my irish moss, I think it all went pretty well.

Back