no alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pogopunk

Reaction score
ok before i bottled it was at 5% and its bottled for 2 weeks and id say its done carbonating but iv drank 8 beers and nothing no buzz nothing im sober as can be

pogopunk said:
ok before i bottled it was at 5% and its bottled for 2 weeks and id say its done carbonating but iv drank 8 beers and nothing no buzz nothing im sober as can be

Impossible

I would atleast want a buzz too LOL Let me ask are you drinking from a hangover? I have drank myself sober before quite a few times and its a funny thing! Your like what just happened? Take a few days off let your organs have a break THEN ITS BEER BONG TIME! :) Stay safe brother dont drink yourself to a pickle

Ok honestly I really don't care about grammar but ok.no I was sober. I opened one to taste it and see if it was ready. It was ready and everything was good so I began to drink a few but to no avail i felt nothing no buzz or nothing

This thread is an epic failure. If it had alcohol content, it still does.

Lets not miss the important thing here: kids and underage people are not supposed to be here, but that doesn't mean they aren't reading the topics on this forum. Keeping that in mind, let's not give them the impression, or anyone for that matter, that it is ok or right to drink for the sole intention of getting drunk or otherwise intoxicated.

You should drink for the drink, and do so responsibly.

Perhaps you accidentally boiled your beer for a few hours after transferring it to the bottling bucket? Or maybe you are drinking so much that 8 5% beers do nothing but kill a little bit of your liver.

Wait, he is from MI right? Don't they have a different definition of sober...;)

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Is it possible that you have an oddly high tolerance? I tend to be the most sober at parties because of my predilection for IIPAs and Belgian Trippels, so when I have more session-style brews I end up drinking three times the amount of others before getting a buzz. Maybe it's because I am Scottish, Irish, and German, too.

In either case, if you took accurate OG and FG readings, that alcohol hasn't gone away.

Did it taste like normal beer? Was it extremely sweet and cloying? Is it completely flat? If so, you may have had a stuck fermentation and screwed up your gravity readings.

It isn't the beer. The beer still has alcohol in it. There have been time where I can drink a 6 pack and not feel anything. There have also been other times I feel it with 2 beers. How you feel depends on if you are hydrated, if you ate, etc. I bet if you took a breathalyzer you would have had alcohol in your blood which means you were drunk/buzzed but just cant feel it.

I once accidentally purchased alcohol free beer and managed to get tippsy on the first 3, until I realised!

Placebo effect.

Spent two years in Iraq and drank a ton of no alcohol malt. Tasted just like beer and quenched the thirst but absolutely no buzz/no ABV whatsoever. Kind of liked the escape with impunity, no DUI, no accidents, no MP's, life was good. Kind of like a sore peter, just can' beat it.

Bob

Your tolerance has to be high i can drink 18-24 a day of the stuff off the shelf thats like 3 point beer but 6 point beer i can drink it faster but takes 12 to light me up Ask yourself this did someone drink your beer and water it down? I have seen happen with JD before and MAAAANNNNN! were they mad when they found out!

This thread is an epic failure. If it had alcohol content, it still does.

Lets not miss the important thing here: kids and underage people are not supposed to be here, but that doesn't mean they aren't reading the topics on this forum. Keeping that in mind, let's not give them the impression, or anyone for that matter, that it is ok or right to drink for the sole intention of getting drunk or otherwise intoxicated.

You should drink for the drink, and do so responsibly.

I literally just had a buddy call me up and tell me to come over "to drink some beers" with friends tonight. I know what "drink some beers" means, and it does not mean that we'll sit around politely debating the hop content of various craft beverages. It actually means "lets kill a bottle of crown in the garage while we crank some old rock & roll records".

You're saying I shouldn't go? Because there will be nothing responsible happening tonight...

How do you know the beer you made was 5%? What was your recipe, or did you use the potential alcohol scale to determine the content? It's not an accurate tool for beer makers.

But at the same a 5% abv beer to me, is a session beer, so I doubt I would get much of a buzz on from a few of them. Thought I'm sure 8 would affect me.

I literally just had a buddy call me up and tell me to come over "to drink some beers" with friends tonight. I know what "drink some beers" means, and it does not mean that we'll sit around politely debating the hop content of various craft beverages. It actually means "lets kill a bottle of crown in the garage while we crank some old rock & roll records".

You're saying I shouldn't go? Because there will be nothing responsible happening tonight...

I say live it up bud just dont hurt yourself or get sick or drive tore up Ya know have fun becareful :rockin:

LIke Revvy said. what was the OG and FG? was it really 5% or did you forget to put the yeast in. only way to know the actual ABV

(OG-FG)x131.25=ABV

nope i did everything right according to the recipe. the recipe said it would be between 5% and 5.5%. my og reading was 990 my final was 995

nope i did everything right according to the recipe. the recipe said it would be between 5% and 5.5%. my og reading was 990 my final was 995

:drunk: None of that makes any sense. Can you walk us through your steps and ingredients? You started out below the gravity of water and ended up higherthan you started.

Bull****. Joker here.

I wouldn't ever get drunk on that either. What are you mixing to raise the gravity?

You should drink for the drink, and do so responsibly.[/QUOTE]

I almost agreed with everything you said up until this line. No one has the right to tell me why I should drink. Yes be responsible, but if I want to get buzzed, that's my prerogative.

recipe brewers best milk stout
ingredients
3.3lb special dark lme
3.3lb pilsen lme
.5lb lactose
specialty grains
8 oz carel 120L
4oz roasted barley
40z dark chocolate
hops
.5oz bittering
.5oz aroma
yeast
1 sachet

I steep the grains for 20 minutes then added all the lme and lactose to the wort. then added bittering hops boiled for 50 minutes then added aroma hops boiled for 10 minutes. cooled the wort in sink of cold water with ice. after bringing the wort to 70 degrees i transferred it to the fermenter then add watered to 5 gallons thoroughly stiring the water into the wort and took a reading. then I pitched the yeast stirred it into the wort and took another reading and secured the lid to the fermenter. fermentation went fine 10 days later I transferred it into the bottles. two weeks later here we are

Amen Brother. I smell what you're steppin' in.

Wait, so you only left a stout ferment for 10 days? There's your problem. Not long enough. Just because your airlock stopped bubbling doesn't mean ferm is complete. You'll wanna leave a stout sit way longer than 10 days before you bottle. Not sure how you came up with those gravity readings though. The numbers make no sense.

I see what your problem might be. Everyone else calm down.

He may be looking at the Brix part of his hydrometer. Pogo, if you look at the bottom of the hydrometer one part says Brix, one part has percentages and one says SP GR.

You want the Sp Gr part . If the OG for your beer was about 1.036 then it would be about 90 Brix, 1.038 would be 95 Brix. These would be a little low for that kit as it calls for around 1.050. You may just be confused about where to look.
If this is the case and if your SG hadn't changed then either you killed your yeast or it was dead before you put it in.

Check your hydrometer and check back in here. There is enough knowledge here to help you out.

I agree. First, you are not reading the hydrometer correctly. Second, you had no fermentation occur so something happened to your yeast. You cooled the wort down to 70ish before pitching your yeast, right?

yes i cooled the wort down to 70 degrees before i pitched the yeast. and thank you frankie and i do remember the readings barely changed

yes i cooled the wort down to 70 degrees before i pitched the yeast. and thank you frankie and i do remember the readings barely changed

I'm not sure I understand. What was the OG reading? And what was the reading when you bottled? I'm just trying to figure out the best advice I can give.

Brix is 1/4 of the SG. How would your theory work there Frankie?
11 Brix= 1.044

Also, how can you explain the increase in gravity? Constant feeding?

Yooper said:
I'm not sure I understand. What was the OG reading? And what was the reading when you bottled? I'm just trying to figure out the best advice I can give.

I'm not sure I understand your new avatar ;)

Back