Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's calibrated and the proper equations are used, it's pretty much fine. Fine enough, in fact, that if you have both a hydrometer AND refrac, you should be able to work backwards and actually even calculate the OG.

There's plenty of other reasons to get a refrac though. Not to mention, if you're using a hydrometer only to measure FG (like many people do), then, UNLIKE most people (for whatever reason), you can get one of those hydrometers that have a much more narrow range (eg 1.000-1.030), which allows you to make a MUCH more precise FG reading than an all-purpose hydrometer... you can literally measure something every 0.0005 (eg 1.0105) with the same accuracy you'd be able to measure every 0.002 on a normal hydrometer.

Hadn't thought of that. I do like to measure both -but from time to time WILL forget to measure the starting gravity -and truthfully, my primary use for one is to assure myself that no more fermentation is taking place.

I (my wife) broke one, but I have a friend who is not on HBT that has broken at least 10.

I've got a refractometer now, but use a hydrometer to measure FG. I also measure OG with it when I'm showing a new brewer how to brew.

fastricky said:
Broke 2.

However the thing that is just as fragile if not MORE SO is the damn hydrometer tube. I've gone thru 5 of those...

You mean the tube it comes in, or the jar meant for measuring samples?

fastricky said:
Measuring samples. The one that breaks just by staring at it!

Wow, I've never exactly treated those things gently, but I have never broken one of those. I once left it in my fermentor - without realizing - after sanitizing everything while brewing, and found it floating inside my Berliner Weisse a week later 'D

Where's the count at? +1 more. Went to brew yesterday and all the little balls on the bottom of the hydrometer were loose. I couldn't see any cracks so I really have no idea what happened.

bwomp313 said:
Where's the count at? +1 more. Went to brew yesterday and all the little balls on the bottom of the hydrometer were loose. I couldn't see any cracks so I really have no idea what happened.

332+1=333

Add one for me too 334.

0 Hydrometers (still 342)
But I've broken two floating thermometers, does that count?

0 Hydrometers (still 342)
But I've broken two floating thermometers, does that count?

Would need a different thread for that one -unless that floating thermometer was inside the hydrometer :)
I cover my bases by buying the hydros with the thermometer inside, that way I can be sure its in the right thread (grin). Still have a lab thermometer but I keep that safely locked away (away from my fumblefingers anyway) except when I do a yearly calibration of my bi-metal thermometers.

+1 =351

was washing it off and it slipped and hit the side of the sink breaking off the glass on the bottom by the weight... (last thing i needed after a brew day from hell)

+1. was cleaning it and putting it away after happily sampling my lagering bock, repeatedly... dammit.

+1 355. After cleaning it, I slipped it back into the package/tube a little too energetically and it popped the cap out the bottom and hit the floor.

About 15 years ago, I moved into a rental house that had glass carboys, some bottles, a bottler, and a glass hydrometer that was actually made in the USA.

Last week I went to use it and it was broken and I was heartbroken.

+1 if it counts even though it wasn't mine...

My old man pulled out his brewing stuff to find a bag of DME got wet. So I thought id help him. Need less to say, when trying to work everything that was in a box with the DME out of that caramel goodness, boom cracked the stem of the hydrometer. =\

If that counts then 361.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

I spoke to someone from makebeer.net (importers of Coopers ingredients and kits) and they now have plastic hydrometers available for $10. I'm gonna order one and see how it compares to my glass one for accuracy (or at least similar results) and durability.
http://www.makebeer.net/item.asp?idProduct=64&idCategory=111&idSubCategory=0
Hi Peter, Right now we have both available. We are working on updating the picture on our site to the new hydrometer. The general rule at this time is if you place the order online, we will ship the new plastic hydrometer even though the online picture shows the glass one. If it is a request for a replacement and we are contacted by phone or e-mail, we will give the customer the choice of either the glass or plastic hydrometer. Barbara White

Back