Super easy bottle label remover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bthorn9435

Reaction score
One of the pains in re-using bottles is the removal of the labels, I
have spent countless time wasted removing these. The other day I
discovered something that shaved literally an hour off the time it takes
to remove the labels. Its called the Magic Eraser, they can be purchased
at any grocery store.
My procedure to remove labels is to soak the bottles for 10 minutes in
the left hand side of the sink with a touch of starsan or iodophor. Then I take
a knife and scrape the label off. Of course this leaves behind all the nice glue
and such. Using the magic eraser is literally like magic, it takes the glue off instantly with no pressure applied. I swear to you guys its freaking awesome. The only caveat is that you have to use the white side and not the blue side. This is the first pad of any kind that removes the glue this easily. If anyone doubts me go purchase one and try it, you will be amazed.
Another tip is that when your scraping the labels to do this over a colander of some sorts this way the labels do not clog your drain. I'm not sure if this will help anyone but I couldn't go without posting this as I have always hated this part of the process and now its a breeze.

P.S. It removes the glue in seconds!!!

They work miracles for a lot of tasks. I think a good idea is to have latex/nitrile gloves when using them, though.

B

I soak my bottles overnight in oxyclean... the labels generally fall right off.

The Magic Eraser sponge is a great idea for removing any glue residue though. +1

I think a good idea is to have latex/nitrile gloves when using them, though.

B

I agree. I had one in my shower to clean buildup, but I decided to use it one day to clean permanant marker off my hand after going to a bar the night before. That was a BIG mistake. My hand broke out and burned for hours.

+1 for oxyclean... it rules! I'll try the Magic Eraser - I agree it's awesome. Have never tried it for the glue though, I can see it would be great

oxyclean (or the stuff they sell at the dollar store (sun oxygen cleaner)) works great and doesnt ruin the labels either which is cool.

I soak them in PBW solution just til the labels slip off. Then take a bottle brush & dobie to clean them inside & out. The glue/gunk is so soft,it comes right off in no time flat. Less work for me...:ban:

An oxyclean or baking soda soak do a great hands-free job.

The magic eraser idea is great for those PITA labels though. Good recommendation!

Back