Why is my beer doing this!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fimpster

Reaction score
So my wheat beer has been in primary for about 13 days and I finally got around to racking to secondary. When I took a reading it was at 1.014 so I figured it was finished or very close to finishing. I just thought I’d take it off the yeast and give it a week or so to clear up a bit before bottling. Well now it’s been in the secondary for two days and has really started to bubble again. In fact the foam has come up through the airlock three times now!! What could cause that? I’m taking another reading tonight to see how much more it’s been working but I’m afraid that something (bacteria?) got in there and contaminated it to make it ferment again. What do you think? Is that possible? Am I looking at a ruined batch?

Don't worry. My Beglian Wit is 72 hours and just beginning to blow off the stopper. Your beer will be fine. It just has a life of its own.

Did you rack off a lot of yeast sediment or perhaps stir up the beer as you transferred? THis would agitate the yeast and cause fermentation to pick up some.

I say, sit back and let the yeasties take their course. Your beer will be fine. IF you are concerened, give it a week and rerack to another fermenter for what is called a tertiary (third) fermenting. A wheat beer doesn't need it though.

When your gravity readings are static several days in a row, bottle it, keg it, drink it...

I don't think i racked off too much sediment, but i have seen many beers drop a few more SG after racking because of stirring up yeast, but this is like a second high kraeusen, weird. in all of my 150+ gallons, i have never seen that before. the funny thing is that it was 1.014 for about 4 or 5 days before racking, thats why i thought it was done.

Back