DIY bag in box syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pendragon

Reaction score
I'm looking at trying to DIY a bag in box syrup like used for coke/pepsi postmix fountains. I have 5 head coke fountain I got cheap on craigslist. Just trying to figure the recipe I'd need right now.

The syrup is made 5:1 water:syrup. 5 gallon bag of syrup makes around 30 gallons. I haven't made soda yet, but from what I've read 1 bottle of extract makes 4 gallons of soda. I figure to make 30 gallons I'd need 7.5 bottles of extract. I'm trying to figure how much sugar I'd need per bottle of extract. Haven't found any info on that just yet. The systems carbonator handles the carbonated water so no yeast needed.

I found some mylar water storage bags that look like they'd work nicely for holding the syrup. http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=ZA B100&bhcd2=1255405307

Although with buying 8 bottles of extract and several pounds of sugar per flavor. It just might cost as much or more than getting the reg BIB syrups from restaurant supply. At least this way though I'm more certain what is and isn't in the ingredients.

Anyone tried this before or any suggestions?

Sounds good. That was my guess-timate was around 1 #. The problem I see there is that make a 5:1 concentrated syrup that would be 30 #'s of sugar and 7.5 bottles of extract mixed into 5 gallons of water. That seems like way too much material to completely dissolve into that amount of water.

Although being that these bags might be reusable, those proportions could be cut to 1/4th or half and still keep the 5:1 ratio. Cheaper that way too. :)

You'd be amazed at how much sugar will dissolve into near-boiling water. You can make a syrup of over 1:1 sugar to water (in volume). If I have the math right, 30 lbs of sugar is roughly 3.75 gallons in volume. That should dissolve into 5 gallons just fine.

I have no idea how those systems work, but couldn't you just figure out a way to hook it right to a smaller container instead of needing a 5 gallon bag of syrup. What about just adapting it so you can hook a 1 gallon jug of sprecher concentrate up. IIRC that needs a 5:1 dilution

I have a BIB setup in my house, I use a Wunder-bar instead of a soda fountain though. I am working on making my own syrups but so far I've just bought syrup. I'd suggest going online and buying some of the one gallon BIB syrups and then after you have used those up you can re-use the bag. You'll need different connectors for your syrup pumps depending on if you are using Coke or Pepsi (Pepsi connector also works with all the off-brands). I have two 110v syrup pumps, I like them much more than the Co2 powered ones.

I'm make sodas as well and was recently asked to put them in a box for sales at a local bar. I'm trying to figure out how to do this and a quick internet search hasn't come up with any clear answers. Anyone have any experiences with this? Or perhaps a direction to send me? I'm looking into beverage packaging companies. Looking for someone who might be able to provide empty bag in box containers.

I believe you can set it up so the syrup is in a corny keg. Instead of the syrup pumps pumping it out, you just use the co2 pressure to push it out of the keg.

I haven't had personal experience with this, but I know I've seen information about it somewhere.

This would carbonate the syrup though, no? Not saying it wouldn't work, but I would think it might adversely affect the characteristics of your syrup and how it dispenses through the gun. And that's aside from the fact that the existing BIB system would have to be changed in order to accommodate pressurizing and feeding from kegs..

Don't know what the health dept might say since this is for public consumption, but you might ask the bar to save their empty BIBs for you to wash out and refill.

I am sure by now you have found the answer or have given up the search. liquibox.com May help. I am also looking to start a line for my own line of restaurants.

One potential option if you don't want to buy and refill BIB bags for homemade syrups, or if you don't want to spend $300+ on a commercial supply of 1000 bags or whatever, is to use the common wine dispenser bags like these: Amazon.com | 3L Wine Bag-In-Box Kits [Eco-Friendly Wine Bottle Alternative] - Easily Bottle, Dispense & Store Your Wines - Perfect For Home Winemakers (3L Bag-In-Box Kits, 6 pack): Bar Tools & Drinkware

And then attach them to your soda system with these fill/transfer valves: Amazon.com: Bag-In-Box Wine Connector - BIB Connector - The Easiest Way To Refill/Transfer/Empty Wine Bags & Pouches: Home & Kitchen

I honestly can't say if it will actually work, but I plan to try it out. Will update.
If anyone has a better source of getting just a few actual soda BIB bags new, I'd love to hear it.

Back