Storing wort for starters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bytor1100

Reaction score
Is it possible to store wort in the fridge to use in the future for starters? Or is this a bad idea? I was thinking it might help save some time when it comes to making starters.

sure. make sure everything is sanitary and put a stopper (w/o hole) on a flask or something to that effect.

i'd still probably reboil when you go to make the starter, tho.

sure. make sure everything is sanitary and put a stopper (w/o hole) on a flask or something to that effect.

i'd still probably reboil when you go to make the starter, tho.
But that kind of defeats the purpose of saving time. I understand it's the better thing to do in order to minimize the threat of infection.

well, that depends. if you save some of the wort from your batch, it would be worth it. then you are krausening instead of just using DME and you could have several starters ready instead of just one.

technically if everything is sanitized, you should be fine to just bring to room temperatures and pitch some yeast. but if you're just making starters from DME, it's a 10 minute process anyway...not much more time you can save than that.

If you really want to do that then you should make a batch and "can" it as you would veggies.

Then you can leave the jars on the shelf and open a jar as you need it for a starter.

This has been discussed before and was an article in one of the brewing mags. :D

ok, cool, just throwing an idea up that I had. I haven't seen it mentioned, but I'm sure it's been talked about before.

Thanks guys

I froze extra wort runoff in ziploc bags.

thaw and a 10 minute boil to sanitize it...surely that's not a big hit on your time table?

For me its the best reason for going AG, I can always get some extra for starters, or with a "light" high gravity beer I get a nice light malt volume to start a mead or braggot with.

Back