EPA base malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaineriv

Reaction score
The time has come for my 2nd AG. This time, going to take a crack at an EPA. I don't have a particular recipe. I just thought, with the help of this forum, I'd try to formulate something. I was considering using 9 or 10 lbs. of Marris Otter as the base malt and about .5 to 1 lb of 40L Crystal for the specialty grains. Might even throw in a few ounces of cara-pils. For my last batch (stout), I used el cheapo domestic 2-row pale and added the color and flavor with specialty grains, so I've never worked with MO. All else being equal (mashing methods, efficiency, etc.), does 1 lb. of MO yield essentially as much fermentables as 1 lb. domestic pale? I'm just not sure how the amount of unfermentables and dextrins in each compare. If anyone has any reccomendations for a base malt other than MO, or a combination of base malts, please share. Also, I'm open to any advice regarding hopping schedules for this style.

Thanks
captaineriv

2 row is fine, or 'pale malt', but maris ottter is high quality stuff so use it if you want. youve got the idea with the poundage and the crystal, cara-pils isnt needed but do what you want. i'dd be more concerned with the hops in a english pale ale than the grains.

Yep, the cara-pils was a big "might," so in that case, I'll probably leave it out. Price isn't so much a factor this time, so I wouldn't mind experimenting with some high-quality base malt. As for the hops, any suggestions, drengel? I was thinking something like an ounce of Northern Brewer or Target at 60 mins. and some Goldings and/or Fuggles in the middle and end of the boil. I just don't know about quantities and times for them. My first AG was only my 3rd batch ever and none of them have really been hop-driven brews, so I'll take all the hops suggestions I can get my hands on.

captaineriv​

I've got 8.75 lbs of MO LME, columbus, cascades, fuggles and EKG. Maybe I'll work it up Sunday, I'm getting low on the hoppy stuff. I'm thinking 1 oz Columbus @ 60, 1/2 oz. Cascades @ 45, 1 oz. Fuggles @ 15 and 1 oz. of EKG at 5.

Thanks for the idea.

i would use a 3/4 oz. target or a oz. of challenger for bittering. then use 1/2 oz. of goldings/fuggles at 30, 1/2 of G/F at 15, 3/4 at 5, and, and 3/4 at 0 minutes. or some variation off that. i'd use 10 lb. of maris otter or english pale malt, then a lb. of some light crystal malts. that'll put you at an OG of 1.062 and 45 IBUs.

Sounds promising. I'll give it a shot with an ounce of Challenger pellets for bittering and then use whole leaf fuggles/goldings for the rest. Thanks again.

captaineriv

Let's see. I think I'll actually do a 90 min. boil. How's this?

-10 lbs. MO
-1 lb. 55L Crystal
-1 oz. Challenger @ 90
-.25 oz. Fuggles @ 20
-.25 oz. Goldings @ 15
-1 oz. Fuggles @ 1

IBU's = 44.7
OG = 1.062 (assuming 75% eff.)
SRM = 10.4

captaineriv

captaineriv said:
Let's see. I think I'll actually do a 90 min. boil. How's this?

-10 lbs. MO
-1 lb. 55L Crystal
-1 oz. Challenger @ 90
-.25 oz. Fuggles @ 20
-.25 oz. Goldings @ 15
-1 oz. Fuggles @ 1

IBU's = 44.7
OG = 1.062 (assuming 75% eff.)
SRM = 10.4

captaineriv

Sounds pretty good to me. It's very similar to my favorite brew.
You're using a bit more malt than I do, and going for a slightly higher gravity. Nothing wrong with that. I hop a bit more aggressively, but that is mainly to stop my wife from stealing my beer.:) Your hopping rates look much more reasonable.

Good luck

-a.

Back