Beer fermented down to 1.001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
OG was 1043, partial mash BIAB method, mashed at 152 degrees for an hour. Used Nottingham yeast fermented between 64-68 degrees. After 5 days I raised the temp to about 75. Why did my FG get so low? The beer is super dry but doesn't taste horrible. My LHBS said I possibly have a wild yeast infection but everything looks and tastes fine.

Hydrometer or operator error is the most common cause. The scale can slip in cheap hydrometer. Your could be reading the wrong scale...I am not sure but with no off flavors, I am not believing the reading.

Hydrometer or operator error is the most common cause. The scale can slip in cheap hydrometer. Your could be reading the wrong scale...I am not sure but with no off flavors, I am not believing the reading.

My hydrometer is fine.

In some fairly lengthy experiments I found that inoculation rate effects attenuation. At an inoculation rate of 200 million cells per milliliter with a 9°P wort I have observed that kind of attenuation.

However, That's just one of a multitude of possibilities.

More details can be found in my blog and also in the book I am publishing next month.

It is highly unlikely you would ferment down that far even with a wild stain. I would guess something is wrong with your hydrometer. However, it may not be off much, the Nottingham strain (if I remember correctly) is highly attentive. For instance you could be at 1.006 and your hydrometer is off by a few points. Either way if it tastes good don't worry about it.

It just tastes a bit watered down but no off flavors that I can taste. It the centinnial blonde recipe except I used all cascade. I'm going to dry hop it to give it a bit more character.

I had this issue a couple times recently, and I've determined it's due to my ferm temps. My next project even before my next batch is going to be a fermentation chamber using an old mini fridge...A lot of different designs here on HBT.

Well I just noticed that my beer is sitting at 75 degrees, which is fine because it is no longer fermenting. I'm just waiting to empty a keg so I can rack it. I guess I should be adding .04 points to the reading at 75 degrees. I was only adding .01. However 1.005 is still a bit low correct?

1.005 is not crazy for the Nottingham yeast. It is highly attenuative.

Well I just noticed that my beer is sitting at 75 degrees, which is fine because it is no longer fermenting. I'm just waiting to empty a keg so I can rack it. I guess I should be adding .04 points to the reading at 75 degrees. I was only adding .01.

How are you getting the .004, did you test the calibration yourself? Most hyrometers I've seen are calibrated to 60* so you would add between .001 and .002 to correct for 75*.

Latest posts

Back