A few quick questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubletapbrewing

Reaction score
When transferring your wort to primary, do you pore or siphon? Also how do you get the trub to stay out of the primary? With a dry packet of yeast, do you do the water method or just pore it straight into primary?

When transferring your wort to primary, do you pore or siphon? Also how do you get the trub to stay out of the primary? With a dry packet of yeast, do you do the water method or just pore it straight into primary?

I've got a spigot on my kettle, I use that in conjunction with a hose to transfer to the carboy.

I also have a screen filter on the kettle that keeps a lot of the gunk out of the carboy.

There was a really good thread last week on re-hydrating dry yeast.

Good luck :mug:

Rick

I pour my chilled wort & top off water through a fine mesh strainer on top of my primary. By pouring through it in a circular motion,it comes out the bottom of the strainer like rain,aerating it all. Not to mention straining grainy bits out.
I like to rehydrate dry yeast in like 1-1.5C of boiled water allowed to cool down to between 90-105F,per manufacturers for 30 minutes. Stir the resultant yeast cream & pour into fermenter after taking gravity sample. Seal & fix airlock.

I don't worry about the trub going into the primary, I dump it all in. The yeast use what they will and the rest settles to the bottom.

I had been just dumping the dry yeast into the fermenter but the last batch I hydrated the yeast first. I can't say that I've noticed much difference.

Sweet thanks. It sounds like I can either rehydrate yeast or just toss it in. I think I will rehydrate it. As for the trub I think I will pick up a funnel with a screen on it.

Carboys necessatate the need for screened funnels. Otherwise,just get a large fine mesh strainer. Works way better if you can use one. I do. And the less trub you wind up with at the end of primary,the more clear beer you rack to the bottling bucket or keg. Not to mention,the less you have to clean out afterwards.
Rehydrated yeast can cut lag time,but it's being found that it also has to be cooled down to within 10 degrees of wort temp to keep from shocking the rehydrated yeast. Rehydration temps are pretty consistent at between 90-105F. But I noticed at 75-80F that there seems to be less lag time than if I rehydrate warmer. Tells me that there is less shocked yeast at 75 or 80F.

Back