Brewers best kit belgian triple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone? Anyone?

Well i planned on racking in secondary at week 3 leave there for 2 or 3 weeks. Then have bottled for 4 weeks or so. My plan sound good?

I have a tripel that i plan on brewing in a week or two... planning four weeks each in primary secondary and bottle carbing for four weeks plus four weeks cold conditioning before i crack the first

You can bottle when the Fg has been stable for at least a few days and the beer is clear. There isn't any rule of thumb for using a clearing vessel ("secondary") so you can keep it there from 0 days to 6 months if you choose to use one. If you're leaving it in the primary for three weeks, I don't see the advantage to a clearing vessel.

It'll age in the bottle as well as it'll age in the carboy. I'd bottle when it's clear, and then let it age.

Yooper said:
You can bottle when the Fg has been stable for at least a few days and the beer is clear. There isn't any rule of thumb for using a clearing vessel ("secondary") so you can keep it there from 0 days to 6 months if you choose to use one. If you're leaving it in the primary for three weeks, I don't see the advantage to a clearing vessel.

It'll age in the bottle as well as it'll age in the carboy. I'd bottle when it's clear, and then let it age.

Thanks, and BTW i seen your extract dead guy ale, i plan on doing this when my basement reaches 3 or 4 dagrees lower in temp.

Yooper said:
It's a good beer- I hope you like it as much as we do in our house. Let me know what you think when it's finished!

I dont see any grains to steep is that right? Nevermind wrong thread.

Well i just took a FG reading reading 1.031 at 65 dagrees on a calibrated 60 dagrees hydrometer. Its been in primary for 20 days. I ran it threw daves dreaded calc. Everything seems fine but I think im still a bit high on FG. FG fpr this kit calls 1.017-1.020. But Like I said its at 65 dagrees at 1.031. I should wait 2 or so days to see if I can get a drop right?

Also as yooper said that I can age in bottles, what would be a estimated time for a bottle condition? Thanks all. Cheers!

Well i just took a FG reading reading 1.031 at 65 dagrees on a calibrated 60 dagrees hydrometer. Its been in primary for 20 days. I ran it threw daves dreaded calc. Everything seems fine but I think im still a bit high on FG. FG fpr this kit calls 1.017-1.020. But Like I said its at 65 dagrees at 1.031. I should wait 2 or so days to see if I can get a drop right?

Also as yooper said that I can age in bottles, what would be a estimated time for a bottle condition? Thanks all. Cheers!

That's WAY too high to bottle!

I'm not sure why it's stuck, but I'd pick up the fermenter, swirl it around, and bring it up to 70 degrees.

Yooper said:
That's WAY too high to bottle!

I'm not sure why it's stuck, but I'd pick up the fermenter, swirl it around, and bring it up to 70 degrees.

Thanks fpr the input yooper, I am aware of the high FG for a scary bottle bomb. I can bring my primary upstars to a warmer climate for a few days..??? Im at 65 dagrees on my basement floor. I range anywere from 67 at night to 74 during the day. I am not running my air so this is all on mother nature at the moment. Living in midwest close to chicago.

I brought it upstairs its 72 there right now (at the moment) gave it a good shake for about 30 sec or so. Airlock started moving again. (I know not to judge by airlock)

Is the flux between 67 to 72 or 74 dagrees to much for hopefully a few days till the FG goes down?

Thanks fpr the input yooper, I am aware of the high FG for a scary bottle bomb. I can bring my primary upstars to a warmer climate for a few days..??? Im at 65 dagrees on my basement floor. I range anywere from 67 at night to 74 during the day. I am not running my air so this is all on mother nature at the moment. Living in midwest close to chicago.

I brought it upstairs its 72 there right now (at the moment) gave it a good shake for about 30 sec or so. Airlock started moving again. (I know not to judge by airlock)

Is the flux between 67 to 72 or 74 dagrees to much for hopefully a few days till the FG goes down?

I hope so! You want to make sure fermentation finishes.

Yooper said:
I hope so! You want to make sure fermentation finishes.

If course! I have done some research on brewing, I just ask questions for extra input. So everything should go good then? Im not gonna bottle to my friend (hydrometer) tells me so, I cant afford and dont wanna clean bottle bombs. how long would you think bottling should take? If anything my tast buds work pretty good for a smoker. And my "keen" sense on decent beer. Thanks agian.

If it stays "stuck" what would my oprion be? Pitch a bit more yeast?

Yes, but that's really tough to get to work since you've got a high alcohol environment already. If it doesn't move a few more points, you'd have to pitch some fresh ale yeast, probably with a starter. But keep your fingers crossed, as it may get going again without any more help.

Well just checked my triple again, I did what yooper said and my fermintation is stuck. Im still reading 1.030.

Now i understand that i should have a starter. I posted a link above for people to see what I used. What and how much yeast should I make a starter with? Please and thank you.

Well I just thought that its about 69• here upstars i just put in a fridge to get it to 60 for a better hydrometer reading.

707 said:
Update? What did ya do? How's the batch now?
EDIT: using my ipod so grammer is a bit off bear with it please.

Bottled it around 3 to 4 weeks ago conditioning in a cooler climate my basement 63 dagrees flst. So far its nicly carbed but way to sweet, i dont think the yeast were able to get all that suger.
But no bottle bombs!

Its drinkable and it came in around 7ABV. One of two things i might stash some away or the'll just get drank. I got a pretty good pipeline going so I dont know, I just get really board with the same thin over and over.

This was my first beer and had similar problems, I used the dry yeast and fermentation stopped, similar temps mine was fluctuating between 69-72, stopped rather quick after it's move to secondary. Mine finally fell to 1.24 and I bottled it, I would have waited but I don't have that much gear and had 2 more beers ready to brew that I just didn't want to wait on. Overall I wish it had not been my first beer, I really wanted it done right, now I have another week to go before I pop the first bottle and see how I did.

stirge said:
This was my first beer and had similar problems, I used the dry yeast and fermentation stopped, similar temps mine was fluctuating between 69-72, stopped rather quick after it's move to secondary. Mine finally fell to 1.24 and I bottled it, I would have waited but I don't have that much gear and had 2 more beers ready to brew that I just didn't want to wait on. Overall I wish it had not been my first beer, I really wanted it done right, now I have another week to go before I pop the first bottle and see how I did.

Yeah let me know if its really sweet. Mine finished at 1.030.

And sweet not in a good way, kinda wish I had spme hop there tp balancebit out.

Thanks for the updates! My LHBS carries BB kits and I want to make the tripel. Any suggestions for a complete fermentation? Make a big ol starter? Add the candi sugar after a week in the primary?

707 said:
Thanks for the updates! My LHBS carries BB kits and I want to make the tripel. Any suggestions for a complete fermentation? Make a big ol starter? Add the candi sugar after a week in the primary?

Id go with a belgian liquide yeast with starter, seem people have trouble with the safel 33 yeast that comes with that kit.

Edit: you should find the ingreadents and buy them fresh, least you will have fresher hops. Instead of themsitting on a shelf at room temp. The price should be around the same and that probably would be with liquide yeast too.

I think our BB kit was 45-50 bucks.

Me and my buddy had a few of my beers last night i got about 6 in the pipeline, last ones to closr our session was the triple, there tasting better. But still really sweet. But does the job -drunk-

Yeah I actually just popped one of mine, carbonation is going well but it's sweet, thick. I was drinking it room temperature to get the full flavor profile (75f) and it's a bit banana smelling, hint in the taste but not gross.

If I had to do it again I would let it sit in primary longer and really let it ferment, also lower temp, I would love to have done it around 67f instead of 70-71f.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice! Finding the freshest ingredients will probably result in me ordering a kit, but that's ok. I want the best product I can make. And yes... Long primary. Will do.

Yeah i had mine sit 7 weeks in primary but it was stuck ferminting half that time.

But non the less its drinkable.

I went to my LHBS and saw this kit on the shelf for $42. Couldn't resist bringing it home. I brewed on 11/23. Used a big starter.. S-04 >36 hours with two batches of 2c water and 1/2c DME. Added 1 tsp Diammonium Phosphate @ 10 min left. I also added 1/2 cup of Turbinado sugar.

Put all the sugars in at the start of boil.

Gravity today (Day 13) is 1.024. Tastes good. Not what I would expect a Belgium style Tripel to taste like at this point, but what do I know. So today I wrapped it in an electric blanket hopefully will rouse the yeast once it warms a little and can milk a few more points off the gravity.

Just as a heads up, after a couple more weeks in the bottle the beer is really good now. I am very happy with it, next time, I'll let it sit in the bottle longer before drinking. It was my first beer, so I was overly excited to get at it.

Well just checked my triple again, I did what yooper said and my fermintation is stuck. Im still reading 1.030.

Now i understand that i should have a starter. I posted a link above for people to see what I used. What and how much yeast should I make a starter with? Please and thank you.

I had the same issue with that yeast. It sucks.

I did an electric blanket wrap for 2 days, probably brought the beer temp up to about 76-78, but didn't do a dip-stick thermometer, so that's a guess.

2 days elec blanket. Another week at room temp. Bottled yesterday (day 24 in primary) I did get another 0.02 off the FG, but that may have been the extra 10 days. And the beer is remarkably clearer now. Could also be time dependent, not temperature. But anyway. I kegged 3 gallons and bottled the rest.

Cheers

I went to my LHBS and saw this kit on the shelf for $42. Couldn't resist bringing it home. I brewed on 11/23. Used a big starter.. S-04 >36 hours with two batches of 2c water and 1/2c DME. Added 1 tsp Diammonium Phosphate @ 10 min left. I also added 1/2 cup of Turbinado sugar.

Gravity today (Day 13) is 1.024. Tastes good. Not what I would expect a Belgium style Tripel to taste like at this point, but what do I know. So today I wrapped it in an electric blanket hopefully will rouse the yeast once it warms a little and can milk a few more points off the gravity.

You used S-04?

S-04. Yup. That's what came in the kit. Made a good size starter. It took off really well and fermented hard for about 5 days.

It doesn't taste like you would expect a tripel to taste like because of the yeast! You won't get all that great Belgian yeast flavors with s-04. Not sure what you brewed but I wouldn't call it a Belgian style tripel.

stirge said:
Yeah I actually just popped one of mine, carbonation is going well but it's sweet, thick. I was drinking it room temperature to get the full flavor profile (75f) and it's a bit banana smelling, hint in the taste but not gross.

If I had to do it again I would let it sit in primary longer and really let it ferment, also lower temp, I would love to have done it around 67f instead of 70-71f.

Most belgians are supposed to be a bit banana flavored, but there should be some clove and spice as well from the yeast. You probably want to hit mid 70's during fermentation, but starting slow (64-68) and ramping up to 71-72 over a few days will make a bi difference vs. starting at 72. I brew more saisons then triples so someone call me out if I'm off base (note that I start saisons the same way but drive temps up as high as 80 over 1-2 weeks)

Also, your size of pitch will make a big difference. The more your yeast colony has to expand, the more they get stressed, and the more "interesting" flavors you get.

In order from more banana/clove flavors to less:

- pitch 1 packet of dry yeast directly in fermenter
- pitch a packet rehydrated in sterile water
- pitch multiple rehydrated yeast packets
- pitch a large starter of liquid yeast

As a previous poster mentioned, type of yeast also makes a big difference.

Hahaha. I don't know what I brewed either. I guessed (wrongly) that the kit had all the correct ingredients-including yeast. I realize I should have used T-58 or a liquid Belgian strain. But hey live and learn, right?

Living in the country don't make you a country boy. And adding Belgian sugar don't make it a Belgian beer!

Hahaha. I don't know what I brewed either. I guessed (wrongly) that the kit had all the correct ingredients-including yeast. I realize I should have used T-58 or a liquid Belgian strain. But hey live and learn, right?

Right! Hey it's still beer!

Turned out very well. Very well! Tastes like I'm drinking a 7.7% pastry. Creamy. Bready. Mellow. Slight fruit hints. I'll be making it again. And I'll be more mindful of the yeast selection, as for now I can't complain about a thing.

Gravity today (Day 13) is 1.024. Tastes good. Not what I would expect a Belgium style Tripel to taste like at this point, but what do I know.

Belgium beers get their flavor mostly from the yeast. Try http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=127 or http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=65
Next time to get the spicy clove and banana Belgium tastes. Also those yeasts will dry it out more and tolerate the high alcohol. :mug:

I start my tripels temp at 68 and work up to about 75*

Latest posts

Back