Stout recipe for a Non-Stout drinker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I really want to brew a Stout, but I don't really love Stouts. I think that if I brew one it might change my mind... Has anyone else been converted like this? If so please share your recipes.

Uh, it might be easier if you tell us what you don't like about stouts first. There are a lot of different styles out there for this one category of beer.

My stout drinking experiences have been smoky, chocolatey, coffee like flavors. I really love beer that's full of malty, hoppy goodness. I really want to branch out and brew ALL types of beer.

Try looking for a milk stout. They're much sweeter than most stouts and don't emphasize the roasted malts quite as much. If you're in an area that sells Left Hand's Milk Stout, that's a good commercial example.

My stout drinking experiences have been smoky, chocolatey, coffee like flavors. I really love beer that's full of malty, hoppy goodness. I really want to branch out and brew ALL types of beer.

Well, coffee and chocolate are hard to avoid if you are making a stout. I'm not crazy about stouts but every year I brew a dry stout. I started off with Jamil's dry stout recipe, but this year I tweaked it a bit. I haven't tasted it yet but I pretty much guarantee it will be good.

Wishing Well

5 lbs two row
4 lbs maris otter
0.75 lb roasted barley (500 SRM)
.25 lb chocolate malt (350 SRM)
2 oz EKG @ 60 mins

1.045 OG
35 IBU

Coincidentally enough, Left Hand's Milk Stout is the ONLY stout that I have thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks for the suggestions.

Which stouts have you tried? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Guiness is probably the most widely known commercial example, but it's also quite unique IMO amongst stouts in genereal...even other Irish stouts. Put this side by side to an Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout and to me, they have very little in common besides color. There is a wide enough range in sub styles that I'm sure you're going to find one end or the other of the spectrum that appeals to you.

Hamsterbite said:
Which stouts have you tried? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Guiness is probably the most widely known commercial example, but it's also quite unique IMO amongst stouts in genereal...even other Irish stouts. Put this side by side to an Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout and to me, they have very little in common besides color. There is a wide enough range in sub styles that I'm sure you're going to find one end or the other of the spectrum that appeals to you.

I am not a fan of Guiness, I will go try the Russian Imperial this weekend. Thanks!

Back