Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltownbrewer

Reaction score
Hey, I just brewed the brewhouse cream ale kit using wyeast American ale, which worked great. After a week I transferred to a secondary and will be dry hopping with 1.5 oz of cascade hop pellets for 10 days or so, any thought on this, did I make a mistake by adding hops to a cream ale, anybody do this before or have any thoughts? I think it could be pretty tasty. Thanks.

Mainly aroma. I brew a cream ale regularly and dry hop it with cascade as well. Just my preference, but it adds a some nice complexity.

Why did you transfer it? You can dry hop right in the primary.
No you did not make any mistakes, Cascade I am not a fan for dry hopping to me it is too grassy.

Brew-boy said:
Why did you transfer it? You can dry hop right in the primary.
No you did not make any mistakes, Cascade I am not a fan for dry hopping to me it is too grassy.

+1 to using something other than Cascade for dry hopping. I used it to dry hop an IPA I entered in a contest once. Scored a 43. The only ding I got on my sheet was for grassiness. And that was just an ounce for 7 days.

I have had good results withe Amarillo. I also have an IPA on tap now where I used 100% Falconers Flight. 1 ounce for 7 days again. The aroma is outstanding.

It won't hurt your beer at all. But I would only recommend 5-7 days. I should help minimize the chance of grassiness or other vegetative flavors.

The reason I transfer to a secondary is to help with the sediment in the bottles, I hardly ever have sediment in my bottles anymore. I guess I will test it in about a week then, thanks for the info.

Yeah, I've had really good luck with the secondary decreasing my sediment. My wheat beer has virtually no sediment, I don't even think twice before pouring the entire bottle in my glass.

Back