How do I remove this valve/spear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crypticx666

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to re-use this keg for homebrew but I don't know how to open it. It's a Guinness keg so there's not a lot of info on how to open it. I will Include some pictures below.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's regular thread. There is probably some kind of latch as well that needs to be depressed after it's unscrewed.

If you have relieved all the pressure just cut the top off without removing the spear.

Thanks for the replies. I really wanna use it as a keg but haven't really tried to get it open yet. I think the thread part is the hardest, especially since I don't know for sure if it's reverse threads or not.

I done 3 of them today.Took me about 5 minutes.
Make sure you release the pressure.Put the keg on it's side and push a screwdriver into the valve.
After you remove the lock nut,pull up on the spear and rotate slowly until both catches release.

2012-07-01 16.36.38.jpg

2012-07-01 16.36.59.jpg

2012-07-01 16.40.04.jpg

2012-07-01 16.40.37.jpg

2012-07-01 16.41.26.jpg

Nice Pics ratsathome. I had one like this that I opened with the with a screwdriver like you did, but didn't drill a hole. It is a regular thread.

I done 3 of them today.Took me about 5 minutes.
Make sure you release the pressure.Put the keg on it's side and push a screwdriver into the valve.
After you remove the lock nut,pull up on the spear and rotate slowly until both catches release.

Thank you very much for the reply! I will have to try this out for sure! :mug:

Back