Why is Miller 64 being pushed so hard? Anyone try this at all?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Local beer store has been moving the craft beers further back in their store so they could have a 7 foot tall beer sculpture formed by Miller 64 packs and cases. Now the commercials for this beer have been running over and over on the history channel as well as A&E. Has anyone tried this beer yet and if so how good/bad was it? Just seems odd to push the micobrews further back inside a beer store in order to feature yet another light BMC beer. I am missing something here?

My mom drinks it. It is mostly water. If you look on the label it reads"up to" 5% ABV.(or something like that) So as long as there is some alcohol in it they are covered... I would guess it has a VERY low actual ABV.

My wife tried it and told me it tasted like watered down LITE... aka #%@*)* nasty...

Take a good hard look at your avatar, this is what the term "crappy beer" is directly implying...

I too have seen these giant "waste of space" displays in stores. I will gladly walk past every last display, sign, flashing light and whatever BMC puts between me and the good/craft beer.

My sister in law recommended it to me. She had one once and knew I drink beer. She doesn't drink.

Yuck is all I can say.

I am missing something here?

yes you are.
craft beers move less volume at $7-$10 a 6-pack. even at a higher margin (if the margin is higher). BMC is a bigger money maker for the store.

Cheap yellow fizzy alcohols sells.

Well it's from miller-coors. There a marketing company that create fanboys but hey, they are good at it. Same thing is going on with BL platinum. my bmc buddies are eating it up. "Triple filtered" is a selling point lol

"Triple filtered" is a selling point lol

it took them 3 tries to get a good filter?

my thoughts on premium cheap beer.
Simpsons_Duff_Lite_Dry.jpg

My sister in law recommended it to me. She had one once and knew I drink beer. She doesn't drink.

Yuck is all I can say.
What is it with SIL's; mine bought me a case when we visited once. I drank one, NASTY. I made her hubby drink it, I went & bought some New Glarus.

This may be sacrilegious, but often this is my lawn mower beer. Bottles are a lot easier than coming in to the kegger every 10-15 minutes to fill the travel mug. No taste, but when your sweating your ass off in the yard....taste awesome. Cooler, ice, and 64. I don't even have to get off the tractor, just pull up by the deck and make a swap. (Takes me 3+ hours to mow/trim).

It's being pushed hard to try to take market share for Coors or Budweiser. That's all. Since you have mentioned craft beers, you aren't part of their target market.

Hammy71 said:
This may be sacrilegious, but often this is my lawn mower beer. Bottles are a lot easier than coming in to the kegger every 10-15 minutes to fill the travel mug. No taste, but when your sweating your ass off in the yard....taste awesome. Cooler, ice, and 64. I don't even have to get off the tractor, just pull up by the deck and make a swap. (Takes me 3+ hours to mow/trim).

That describes my yard "work" to a T. Never had 64 but usually some BMC. I wonder how long the job would take without the beer;)

It just amazes me the the economics of the big brewers (BMC) would rather spend millions of dollars on these add campaigns rather than investing an extra 10 to 15 cents per bottle to put out a better product. I kind of wonder if these new beers put out by the big BMC companies are just older recipes reformulated to act like something new.

I was too young to buy Miller Dakota when it came out but I recall this being advertised as something new grown in the heartland that your father's father would enjoy drinking back in the day. Can anyone burst my memory bubble and tell me how this stuff tasted?

It just amazes me the the economics of the big brewers (BMC) would rather spend millions of dollars on these add campaigns rather than investing an extra 10 to 15 cents per bottle to put out a better product. I kind of wonder if these new beers put out by the big BMC companies are just older recipes reformulated to act like something new.

I was too young to buy Miller Dakota when it came out but I recall this being advertised as something new grown in the heartland that your father's father would enjoy drinking back in the day. Can anyone burst my memory bubble and tell me how this stuff tasted?

The average beer consumer (not craft beer drinker), doesn't give a hoot about taste. When selling beer to the masses, advertising is what sells beer, not taste

Miller light is one of the nastiest brews ever. I prefer high life with the hops extract added over miller light. Maybe they are trying to phase the 64 stuff in because it doesn't taste as bad as miller light.

I don't understand why they market 64 and all those other 'ultra' lite beers to athletic people. If you are running,cycling, or swimming for many hours a day the last thing you want is a 'lite' beer. You have burned a lot of calories excersing, you want to replenish them quickly.
They should market those lite beers to people that sit on the couch all day or have office jobs. But I guess that wouldn't make for good advertising, watching people sit on their asses throughout the day.
My best guess is they use athletic people in the comercial so the couch potato will think they are drinking something active people drink, therefore they too have an active lifestyle.

I've never had the miller 64 but I remember trying the michelob ultra about ten years ago. Might as well just drink a glass of carbonated water with a shot of cheap whisky mixed in.

Kind of off topic but how is regular Coors? Coors lite is my go to drinking game beer because I don't want to waste HB chugging and such but have heard reg coors isn't that bad.

My mom drinks it. It is mostly water. If you look on the label it reads"up to" 5% ABV.(or something like that) So as long as there is some alcohol in it they are covered... I would guess it has a VERY low actual ABV.

Hmm, let's figure out the ABv of Miller64
Cal/g of alcohol = 7.
64/7 = 9.14grams of alcohol.
density of ethanol .789g/ml
9.14g/.789 = 11.58ml of ethanol.
11.58ml/355ml = 3.26%

So. 3.26% ABV assuming there are ZERO grams of carbs/protein/fat, which there will be. So at max, 3.26%. What this tells me is that the 3.2% beer we buy at grocery stores in KS is just relabeled as M64 to sound like a new product. Good marketing?

Kind of off topic but how is regular Coors? Coors lite is my go to drinking game beer because I don't want to waste HB chugging and such but have heard reg coors isn't that bad.

Coors Original is kinda sweet tasting; at least compared to budweiser. It def. has more body and flavor than coors light. It is usually the same price - give it a try next time instead of light. Personally, of all the macro's in that area, I prefer budweiser.

Anyone else start seeing the commercials for the Miller Lite punch top cans. So dumb. You can do that with any can.

Before I started homebrewing, my "go-to" beer was Miller Genuine Draft Light. Then, shortly before I started brewing, they changed it to MGD 64. It really, REALLY tasted "washed out" and thin. Haven't had one since my first brew...and if I did have one, I probably would wonder where the beer was! I broke down last night and had a Point Special...and that was pretty good! But side-by-side with Miller 64, I'm sure the Point would have a lot more flavor.

glenn514:mug:

Hmm, let's figure out the ABv of Miller64
Cal/g of alcohol = 7.
64/7 = 9.14grams of alcohol.
density of ethanol .789g/ml
9.14g/.789 = 11.58ml of ethanol.
11.58ml/355ml = 3.26%

So. 3.26% ABV assuming there are ZERO grams of carbs/protein/fat, which there will be. So at max, 3.26%. What this tells me is that the 3.2% beer we buy at grocery stores in KS is just relabeled as M64 to sound like a new product. Good marketing?

It has 2.6 grams of crabs and prob a little protein/fat but not a significant amount. I would place this beverage, without any math below 2.5 ABV% or VERY close to it. What makes me mad as @#&! is this whole "up to" BS. almost EVERY ISP (Internet Service Provider) does the same thing with your down + up load speeds. It is deceitful, lawyer BS that we really do not need in this world. Put the real numbers on stuff so the consumer understands what they are buying/consuming.

It is bad enough that the "Miller girls" in bars are not only old enough to still smell like pee but now they want me to drink pee. I am not saying they are not easy on the eyes but really did you not see the craft beer in front of me? Well, at least the Jamo girls still have something to offer...

Seriously, why would anyone on HBT drink this crap. I know. Some of you think "there's a time and place or any beer." if you think it's the time and place for a watery light lager, it's most likely time for a glass of water.

downtown3641 said:
Seriously, why would anyone on HBT drink this crap. I know. Some of you think "there's a time and place or any beer." if you think it's the time and place for a watery light lager, it's most likely time for a glass of water.

I drink BMC when playing drinking games. Don't want to waste HB and it's cheap.

They serve the market that wants to drink a very large quantity of beer in a sitting. It's a larger market than those who enjoy nursing a pint of oaked smoked porter for awhile.

My SIL bought took me out to eat at a craft brew pub, got me likkered up, and even sent me home with a hat from the 'gift shop' in the brewery! i win!

Nothing sacrilegious about it. Drink what you are in the mood for, and go through life with no regrets. To hell with the beer snobs.

This is what my friend said about Miller 64

"I just cracked open a Miller 64 for the first time in a while after drinking your stuff and I swear to God I was drinking water. I need to get some more from you."

This is all im going to say about this lol

Before I started homebrewing, my "go-to" beer was Miller Genuine Draft Light. Then, shortly before I started brewing, they changed it to MGD 64. It really, REALLY tasted "washed out" and thin. Haven't had one since my first brew...and if I did have one, I probably would wonder where the beer was! I broke down last night and had a Point Special...and that was pretty good! But side-by-side with Miller 64, I'm sure the Point would have a lot more flavor.

glenn514:mug:

Funny you should mention this Glenn. When I took the tour of the Miller Brewery in Milwaukee 2 or 3 months ago, they told everybody to watch for the "new" Miller 64 that would be available soon. Then told us that "Miller 64" is just MGD 64 rebranded to make it "new".

If you go to the official Miller 64 website (www.miller64.com), that is exactally what the initial splash screen reads before it asks for your birthdate. "The MGD 64 that you know and love is not Miller 64."

Bernie Brewer said:
Nothing sacrilegious about it. Drink what you are in the mood for, and go through life with no regrets. To hell with the beer snobs.

This. Why is it nessasary to bash this stuff. Who cares what people drink. If they are on this site. They also enjoy decent beer. Im finishing a miller lite. Next is a flying fish pale. Who care. Drink what you want. And keep the bashing of others peoples taste to your self. /rant

i agree with the two guys above. high life will always hold a place in my heart

It is bad enough that the "Miller girls" in bars are not only old enough to still smell like pee but now they want me to drink pee. I am not saying they are not easy on the eyes but really did you not see the craft beer in front of me? Well, at least the Jamo girls still have something to offer...
wait... girls smell like pee?! :confused:

Back