My first shot at a recipe, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Eugenics

Reaction score
IIPA

IBU 94.14

14 lb Pale 2-Row 90.32%
1 lb Caramel / Crystal 60L 6.45%
0.5 lb Victory 3.23%

Hops
Amount Variety Time AA Type Use
2 oz Chinook 60 min 13 Pellet Boil
1 oz Cascade 10 min 7 Pellet Boil
1 oz Cascade 5 min 7 Pellet Boil
2 oz Centennial 7.8 Pellet DH
Mash Steps
Amount Description Type Temp Time
1.5 qt Temperature 152 F 60 min
Yeast
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001

Damn that looks good. I did something very similiar lately with 1 oz chinook @ 60 ,1 oz cascade @ 15, 1 oz cascade @ 2 and 1 oz Centennial @ DH and it was great. Of course that chinook is going to rip your face off...OOo yeah.

I would say skip over the caramel and maybe add .5 carapils. That's just my opinion. Give the beer a little body. I don't use caramel in my IPAs anymore

Thanks for the idea I think I’m going to bump up the Victory up to 1# and an add .5# of Carapils.

Recipe looks good.

I think what Scruffy was getting at is that there's an inverse relationship between bittering and caramel malts, including cara-pils. To obtain maximum bitterness, you drop the caramel malts, or go with a reduced amount of cara-pils. cara-pils can often be replaced with wheat malt/torrified wheat to the same head-retaining effect.

However, i think your recipe looks good. I agree with bumping the caramel malt total to 1.5lbs and upping the victory to 1lb.

SouthBay said:
Recipe looks good.

I think what Scruffy was getting at is that there's an inverse relationship between bittering and caramel malts, including cara-pils. To obtain maximum bitterness, you drop the caramel malts, or go with a reduced amount of cara-pils. cara-pils can often be replaced with wheat malt/torrified wheat to the same head-retaining effect.

However, i think your recipe looks good. I agree with bumping the caramel malt total to 1.5lbs and upping the victory to 1lb.

Yes. lol

Back