Yeast Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frothdaddy

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch (Northern Brewer Nukey Brown Ale) and pitched a WYeast #1098 Sunday night at about 9:30 p.m. It's a smack-pack and it did swell up when I broke the inner package. When I checked this morning, there was still no activity in the primary.

How long should I wait before I become concerned?

Also, I live in Miami where there aren't any home brew shops, so I can't just go get more yeast. If I have to add more yeast, and I mail order it, will the wort in the primary still be good by the time the yeast get's here with regular shipping (3-4 days)? Next day shipping is about $40, so for that price I could just re-order the whole kit.

frothdaddy said:
I just brewed my first batch (Northern Brewer Nukey Brown Ale) and pitched a WYeast #1098 Sunday night at about 9:30 p.m. It's a smack-pack and it did swell up when I broke the inner package. When I checked this morning, there was still no activity in the primary.

How long should I wait before I become concerned?

Also, I live in Miami where there aren't any home brew shops, so I can't just go get more yeast. If I have to add more yeast, and I mail order it, will the wort in the primary still be good by the time the yeast get's here with regular shipping (3-4 days)? Next day shipping is about $40, so for that price I could just re-order the whole kit.

Like 98EXL said, give it some more time before you start to worry.

In the future it might not hurt to have a coupple packs of dry yeast in the fridge incase a liquid yeast fails to take off. They are cheap and last a few years.

Also, if you do end up needing yeast there a couple things you can do:
1. Find someone here from you area that will give you some yeast
2. Find a homebrew club...someone would probably help you
3. Call a LHBS close to you (somewhere in Florida) and see if they will send you some dry yeast in an envelope regular mail, couldn't cost more than a couple bucks

But most importantly, RDWHAHB!

you know, speaking of yeast, I was freaking last night about a smack pack that was bagged in April. It didn't swell at all like it should have in the time frame. Then I realized it was because of the AC, and stuck it on top of the dryer.

Checked this morning, it's swollen, going into the starter during lunch!

If I do need to get some new yeast, will the wort keep a few days at 70F while it is being mailed, or should I just scrap it and start over?

if you don't want to wait a few days, pitch dry yeast instead. sure you don't get the same flavor profile from a specific liquid strain, but it'll save your batch.

I always try to keep 2-3 sachets of different dry yeast on hand.

Back