bone-head mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houndhome1

Reaction score
I was in the middle of brewing when I was called into work(law enforcement) and had to put on hold. I had just flamed out. I chilled the wort and covered.
8 hours later ( midnight) I returned to transfer into primary. I pitched my yeast slurry and called in a night. 24 hrs later I went to check on airlock activity and found that I had forgot to add the vodka to the airlock.

I'm hoping it doesn'r effect the batch. Any thoughts?

I am no expert but...co2 leaks out. Unless you have a horde of fruit flies inside the fermenter, I would put money that you end up with good beer. Many places have or do "open fermentation" leaving the beer exposed on the top the entire time.

RDWHAHB !

You will likely be fine. The off-gasing of CO2 will create a nice protective blanket against the outside air. They don't call it "open fermentation" for nothing :D

EDIT: Ha, ya beat me Zamial

The airlock isn't that big of a deal since your beer is going to be off gassing during fermentation and oxygen isn't a bad thing in the beginning. The 8 hours is the scary part. At this point you'll just have to wait and see. It'll probably be fine.

You're fine. Many people do similar things. Wort and Yeast are extremely hardy and it's much more difficult to get an infection or some sort than you would think.

Our beer is pretty resiliant, it can take a lot. I think the fact that you covered it was a smart thing.

Plus I'm pretty sure you get some good karma brewing points for doing your job. :mug:

I don't worry to much, Even bad homebrew is still better then store bought.

It was an all grain wheat, It should be fine. If not, I know how to make more.

Thanks for the responses.

From what little I know -- Airlocks are just a modern gadget that's fun to watch. Beer has been brewed for centuries without them.
A layer of CO2 and good Karma is all ya need

From what little I know -- Airlocks are just a modern gadget that's fun to watch. Beer has been brewed for centuries without them.
A layer of CO2 and good Karma is all ya need

if you're making a lambic, this is true. but that 24 hours, yes, it developed plenty of counter-pressure, and forced off all oxygen. happy drinking, and thanks for protecting us, ossifer. and really, i've only had 2 :ban:

oops, ya got me Lumpher... I should have added that it was covered, just not air-tight with a neat plastic thingy full of vodka or Star-san. And ossifer, he is right. Nobody ever has more than two, LOL
Then again just ONE homebrew can get you in trouble:drunk:

I have made a few that should have come with warning labels, " not responsible for comments made to wives after consumpion"

I quit force cooling my wort and just leave my brew kettle (big covered pot) until it has cooled close to ambient. About 16 hours after flameout, I transfer to my primary and set in the chill-chest with a sanitized foil cap. I pitch a couple hours later. No infections to date. Sanitation is important but it's not religion. You will not be required to answer for every slip-up in the after life. Do that relaxy drinky thing.

Back