Absurd persimmon project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aardvark

Reaction score
Our spouses are certain we are crazy for embarking on this project, and I'm tempted to agree. The guys at the LHBS seem think we are perfectly normal, although that may simply call into question their sanity. Read on and be the judge.

I work at a farmers' market and one farmer in particular (we'll call him Farmer C) has been generous with his product. This past fall he gave us (that's me and my partner in fermentation crime...Big D) 700lbs of apples which we pressed into 25 gallons of cider. Farmer C was rather pleased with his cut. So when it became clear to him that he was going to have more persimmons than he could sell, he offered them to me and D.

Now mind you we have never made anything from persimmons and there aren't that many recipes. But being the slightly unhinged amateur fermenters that we are, we figured we could make something. So we agree, thinking that we'll have a a hundred or two pounds of fruit and fill a couple carboys. Then Farmer C starts talking about 100 boxes or 600 or so lbs. Yikes...but we can handle it. And its free fruit...so what's the harm....right?

When the fateful night rolls around, Farmer C pulls up to my house after the market and we start loading boxes. Box after box come out of his truck and into a covered are in my back yard. When all is said and done we have 170 boxes, or over 1,000lbs of fruit! Farmer C estimates we will end up with about 50 gallons of pulp once we mash it all up. Damn!

IMG_1002.jpg
Less than a third of all of the boxes.

Still undaunted, D and I realize that our carboys will be woefully inadequate, both in terms of capacity and time. Cutting 1,000+ pounds of persimmons into pieces to fit inside a carboy would take days.

After some thinking we come to the solution of a large, food grade barrel, and through the magic of craigslist, we find some within an hour's drive for just $40. So we hop in the car to see a man about some barrels. Two hours and two 60 gallon food grade barrels we stop by the LHBS for some yeast and advice. Good think we did too.

IMG_1001.jpg

Two 60 gallon barrels.

The big piece that we were missing prior to stopping by was the impact of all that pectin in the persimmons. Thanks to the friendly folks at our LHBS, we left with some Pectinase and yeast nutrient, in addition to the yeast.

Once back and my place we filled the barrels with water and left them overnight and sanitized them the next morning. Our thinking was that with 50 or so gallons, we could either fill one most of the way full and then rack into the other, or fill each one half way or so.

Before we got started mashing up the persimmons, we did a little volume check. We measured the volume of two persimmons, one smallish and one largish one. Together they were about 1 cup. Then we ran the math:
1/2 a cup per persimmon X 24 persimmons per box X 170 boxes=2,000. For those of you keeping score at home, that's 125 gallons. Oh crap....

IMG_0991.jpg

Just the beginning.

All of a sudden we were looking at two very full barrels.

And yet we persevered. With the wooden paddle in hand we began tossing whole persimmons into the barrels and mashing them up as we went.

IMG_0994.jpg

Half-Baked...erm..half full.

At that stage, things actually went pretty quickly, but mixing 50 gallons of persimmon pulp is hard work.

IMG_0998.jpg

One barrel full of persimmon pulp!

In the end, our recipe per barrel:
about 50 gallons persimmon pulp
1/2 tsp Potassium Metabisulfite
2 oz Pectinase

Last night, after 48 hours we added 6 packets of Lalvin K1-V1116.

As of this morning, no definite activity, but temps were in the hi 40s overnight, so that isn't surprising.

Crazy or not, I'll post as things develop, including pictures.

No added sugar? What are you going secondary into?

Sounds like fun.

No added sugar? What are you going secondary into?

Sounds like fun.

Nope, no added sugar. By my rough calculations, persimmons are 15% sugar by weight, as opposed at 10% for apples.

As for secondary...no idea! We might need to go get another barrel.

where is the epic button?seriously this looks awesome.i think you and the backyard brewpub guy should get together.you both seem to go way overboard.but i like overboard.so far it's been good results.

Any idea of the OG of the batches? 15 Brix (15% sugar) only comes out to about 1.060 on the specific gravity scale. Which is fine if you are going for more of a cider... but might be a bit low if you are going for wine.

Anyhow, this is an awesome undertaking... keep updating with pics!

You probably could have pitched another 2-4 packets of yeast in each.

Looks awesome!

Since you are using wine yeast, you should seriously think about bumping up the sugar content so you will have a true wine, and not persimmon cider. Bulk sacks of sugar are cheap.

Are you guys just rigging a blowoff tube? I'm guessing fermentation would way overpower any airlocks.

Any idea of the OG of the batches? 15 Brix (15% sugar) only comes out to about 1.060 on the specific gravity scale. Which is fine if you are going for more of a cider... but might be a bit low if you are going for wine.

We pondered how to get an OG and couldn't come up with anything because what we have us pulp, not juice. Perhaps if the pectinase does some more work and the yeast does some, we can get a gravity reading before we are too far along in the process. Any thoughts on how to get an OG would be greatly appreciated.

As for the sugar content, you might be right, in which case we would may want to add some sugar.

Words escape me... except wow....

+1 on the sugar recommendation, and kudos on doing your homework ahead of time with the pectin, etc.

Do you suppose it's worth checking on what it would take to go commercial, on the chance that this turns out spectacular and you find yourselves with 100+ gallons of terrific wine on your hands? Seeing as how by the time this is done you will have amassed a pretty large winemaking setup :)

Are you guys just rigging a blowoff tube? I'm guessing fermentation would way overpower any airlocks.

The barrels have 2 inch holes in the top that pulls up and can let air out, so once fermentation starts, we'll just pull those out until we can get an airlock to stay on.

If there is still too much pressure then yeah, blow off tubes.

Very cool indeed. Do you know what variety of persimmon you have? Is it the native, astringent variety, or one of the Asian, non-astringent ones?

It will probably be tough to get a gravity reading without a refractometer if you have a hard time separating the pulp and the juice.

Words escape me... except wow....

+1 on the sugar recommendation, and kudos on doing your homework ahead of time with the pectin, etc.

Do you suppose it's worth checking on what it would take to go commercial, on the chance that this turns out spectacular and you find yourselves with 100+ gallons of terrific wine on your hands? Seeing as how by the time this is done you will have amassed a pretty large winemaking setup :)

I think commercial production is way beyond us currently. We don't have the technical knowledge, the equipment or the capital. But thanks for the vote of confidence.

The variety of persimmon is Fuyu. Looks like this:
fuyu10.jpg

That's what I figured. The Fuyus are far less astringent than the natives. The natives tend to be less commercially available because they do not taste good until they have ripened to the point where they look unappealing to the typical American buyer.

This is VERY COOL, EPIC, even! You might try pushing a strainer down into the pulp & scoop out some juice with a measuring cup for a hydro sample. You might need to let the suspended matter settle out in a jar in the fridge to get a more accurate hydro reading, but it might take a while. Be sure to keep us updated, I'm very curious to see how this turns out. I'll drink one (or 3) in your honor after work! Regards, GF.

As someone who has never even heard of this fruit before now, it sounds awesome. I looked up the wikipedia and it sounds like an interesting snack.

This is VERY COOL, EPIC, even! You might try pushing a strainer down into the pulp & scoop out some juice with a measuring cup for a hydro sample. You might need to let the suspended matter settle out in a jar in the fridge to get a more accurate hydro reading, but it might take a while. Be sure to keep us updated, I'm very curious to see how this turns out. I'll drink one (or 3) in your honor after work! Regards, GF.

That is a great idea...and it might just work. I'll give it a try.

i'm curious to see how this pans out. I only recently found persimmons in a grocery store and had to try one.

TANNINS...initially the taste was great and then the aftertaste pulled every drop of moisture from my mouth for the next 10 minutes.

i read that should only happen if its not ripe, but this fruit was pretty soft/ripe in my uneducated opinion.

I went out to check in it earlier and this is what I saw:
photo2.jpg

Looks like fermentation is starting!

After mixing, it looked like:
photo3.jpg

Nice! I was concerned about the amount of yeast you pitched, but it looks like it's taking off. It would be great if you could get a hydro reading.

Still need to consider your options for secondary, and how to get it there.

i'm curious to see how this pans out. I only recently found persimmons in a grocery store and had to try one.

TANNINS...initially the taste was great and then the aftertaste pulled every drop of moisture from my mouth for the next 10 minutes.

i read that should only happen if its not ripe, but this fruit was pretty soft/ripe in my uneducated opinion.

'"Captain John Smith wrote the following about the unusual orange fruit that the first settlers at Jamestown found: " If it be not ripe it will drawe a mans mouth arwie with much torment; but when it is ripe, it is as delicious as an Apricock."'

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/361/

I find the American ones to be much tastier, when they are truly ripe.

Wow--too cool! We have persimmon trees, the native variety, and they taste simply amazing. But yes, you can't eat them until they look as if they've gone bad; then they're like candy. The pectinase--I hope you used enough. In fact, I've thought about trying pectinase in our jam to actually try to reduce the amount of pectin in the raw fruit so we don't have to add water to make sure the jam doesn't get too thick... normally you want to ADD pectin to jams.

Ye gods, I love persimmons. I hope to hear this goes well so maybe we can follow your example (on a much smaller scale--we only have four trees) with our own persimmons next year.

This morning before leaving for work I took a look at the barrels and what I saw is captured below. If you compare the picture below from this morning to the last ones I posted, you will see that what was 2 or so inches of head space below the threads is now 1/2 and inch.

After stirring and getting a lot of CO2 out the level dropped, but I'm a little worried that all that pulp will trap the CO2 and that if I leave it for too long (say while I'm at work), that it will bubble over. Oh well.

IMG_1021.jpg

This morning before leaving for work I took a look at the barrels and what I saw is captured below. If you compare the picture below from this morning to the last ones I posted, you will see that what was 2 or so inches of head space below the threads is now 1/2 and inch.

After stirring and getting a lot of CO2 out the level dropped, but I'm a little worried that all that pulp will trap the CO2 and that if I leave it for too long (say while I'm at work), that it will bubble over. Oh well.

IMG_1021.jpg

Um, maybe transfer 5 gallons from each FGB into carboys? or Ale pails? It would give you the necessary headroom in the FGBs.

lol thats pretty amazing, and i know i saw a recipe for persimmon wine in my CJJ Berry book! good luck!!!

If you stare at that last picture long enough, it gives the illusion it is moving and bubbling.

Ok, so I am home sick today and on medications...

Back